Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda Cx650 Custom
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I have a 1983 Honda CX650 Custom. 25k miles on it. I have had it for about three months. Its my first motorcycle too. My buddy that I bought it from had recommended this forum so I figured it would be a good idea to join since the cx650 is such a oddity in the motorcycle world haha. Hopefully ill get to ride it late into the fall this year as long as the inevitable Ohio winter weather holds off!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I have a 1983 Honda CX650 Custom. 25k miles on it. I have had it for about three months. Its my first motorcycle too. My buddy that I bought it from had recommended this forum so I figured it would be a good idea to join since the cx650 is such a oddity in the motorcycle world haha. Hopefully ill get to ride it late into the fall this year as long as the inevitable Ohio winter weather holds off! View attachment 208554
Welcome from southwest ohio:cool:

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,480 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
492 Posts
Title: "Glad to be here".
Translation: "Haven't been here very long, and have no idea what I've gotten myself into."

Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist, lol!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Welcome....as indicated these bikes provide some challenges...but that's "the journey".
So not sure if "glad to be here" is the start or "the end i.e. (Cxownership=nirvana;))"...
Good luck and enjoy the CX experience....

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
492 Posts
In my experience, the CX/GL is the epitome of Honda ingenuity and insanity all rolled into one. So, you should be in good, if not slightly derranged, company here, lol!

Reactions: ABERK25 and bahn88

·
Registered
1983 Honda Cx650 Custom
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I updated my profile like was suggested and I do have the shop manual for the bike along with a book on the Carbs. Most of the work was already done before i took ownership (it was a project bike for my buddy and his dad for the last 7 years or so). New tires, new brakes, stainless steel brake hoses, they did the triple bypass, new forks and seals, new water pump gaskets, carb rebuild by Murray, etc. All ive had to do is change out fluids, polish the aluminum parts, and keep checking everything because like someone said, these old bikes own us not the other way around haha (I liked that one). So far i absolutely love this bike, ive done about 1500 miles on it since i got it in late march without a glitch. Only things ive done so far is get new grips, some mini ape hanger handlebars and add the quick detach windshield. I also had to take the fuel petcock out and clean out the screen because of old fuel gunk. I plan on keeping it mostly stock because of the rarity and just trying to keep it in good condition. I am actively trying to find the padded sissybar for the bike but thats been a tough one lol. Im very happy I didnt overlook the bike because of its strange looks at first because the style of these grows on you so fast and before you know it youre in love.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,480 Posts
WIth all due respect to the intentions of your buddy and his dad, I still recommend going through the procedures in the manual in case they missed something and at least checking the date codes on the tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts