Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My immediate goal is to get the radiator out for a pressure test.
Eventually, I will be dismounting the engine. Should I just leave the bracket hanging there, and work around it?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I've learned that I can't remove the radiator with the fairing stay in place. Even if I were to remove the horn brackets, the mounting point will still interfere with the top of the radiator.
Maybe if I unbolt the fairing stay again, and let it dangle?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just pulled my engine for a bypass. I just undid all the bolts and let the thing hang from the frame

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found instructions in the cooling system section of the FSM. It said to decable, so I decabled. The carbs needed to come out anyway.
The radiator will need to come out with the engine, though, given the inaccessibility of the upper hose clamps.
I discovered that I have a broken throttle return cable, and the forks are clamped in the triples at different heights. This bike is going to need the fine-toothed-comb treatment.

R

·
Super Moderator
14,551 Posts
If you are careful you can hold the cables between the boss for the bolt that goes through the frame and the side rail of the frame and slip the ears of the bracket past them. I've done that many times and the only thing that makes it hard for me is the cable that runs back to the relocated fusebox (used to be on top of the airbox but I moved it into the original battery box) and that mostly because I didn't have any suitable heat shrink or the time to wait for it to arrive so I shoved the wires through a piece of 1/2" clear tubing.

BTW: My fairing bracket is the same one I had on my GL500 (now somewhat modified). I only removed the bracket to get the rad off once. While it was off I cut off the lugs for the horns and found the horn a new home.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are careful you can hold the cables between the boss for the bolt that goes through the frame and the side rail of the frame and slip the ears of the bracket past them.
I tried that, but couldn't manage to make it work. All these cables needed to be disconnected eventually, anyway.
I'm hoping to dismount the engine this afternoon. Need to see if I have space on the work stand to maneuver the trolley jack. If not, I'll roll it back to the floor.

Randall

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The deck of my work stand isn't wide enough for the trolley jack, so I'll move her to the floor for the dismount.
I think I have everything disconnected. I'll try for some evening this week.

Randall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts