Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 83 gl650. The temp gauge not working so I tested it with a 6 volt battery and it went up, so I know it works then I tested the 7 v regulator and I was not getting the 7 v so I thought Bingo, but when I unplugged the green wire coming from the sending unit the regulator gave me a full 7 volts reading so I was like WAH. Well I can get the 7 v all the time but when I plug the sending unit wire bye bye 7 v any idea if this is the way it works or something is bad ? My fan never comes on either but I jumped the wires out of the thermoswitch and it ran so I think I'm good there, maybe just replace that switch. I'm pretty new working on bikes. I recently moved from the Honda civic game into the Gl game :) thanks for the help!

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
ok to be clear the 7v regulator has 3 wires black yellow and green NONE of these attach to the sending unit wire

the sending unit wire is a green with blue tracer that meets and connects in the headlight bucket to the gauge

the three wire on the 7v reg are

green 12v-

black 12v +

yellow 7v output to gauge

i this is all correct then your try this remove the connector from the temp switch and ground it the gauge should go to hot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are totally correct. I grounded the green/blue and the gauge didn't move a bit. I get the 7 v out of the yellow wire but when I plug the green/blue I don't get the 7 v anymore

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I tested my 12v input and it was good 12v all the time, but is doing the same thing i get the 7 volt out of the regulator but when I plug the green/blue no more 7 volts. I unplugged the yellow from the regulator and plugged the yellow from the gauge to the 12v and the temp gauge when top hot, so what do you think ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts