Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several suspension questions on my 83 GL650 Interstate - 52.5k miles

1. Are the top of the forks supposed to be even with the triple clamp, or up about an inch? On the GL500's, there is a line/notch on the slider showing the proper location, but there is no line on my 650.

2. Has anyone here installed the RaceTech springs and GoldValve emulator kits? I would appreciate feedback on the handling changes/improvements.

3. I get an odd metallic tinking/clunking sound that appears to be coming from the rear shock/Pro-Link when paddling the bike around. More going backwards than forwards. The bike seems to sit very low in the rear, even w/ 50psi in the shock. I'm planning on pulling & examining the shock & P-L linkage. Any suggestions in particular?

4. For those who have purchased the Hagon rear shock, has it been worth the money for you? Handling improved? Where and how much improvment? Durability?

I'm seriously considering doing the RaceTech/Hagon upgrades, but it's hard to spend $700 in suspension on an $800 bike.

5. Are there any sport-touring tires available in the 100/90-19 & 130/90-16 sizes for the SilverWing besides the BT-45's? No tire war/thread please, just haven't seen a lot of choices in the ST range. Most everything seems to be aimet at the touring or cruiser market.

Thx.

G

·
My Gl650 has the fork tube (not the cap) flush with the top tripple,pretty sure that is correct

I have an Avon Roadrider MT90-16 on the rear,so far so good,but have only put on about 500 kilometers,seem sticky,and seems to ride nice,I have a Kenda Challenger on the front,but will be changing to another Roadrider,soon....Have these on my 78,cb550k and like the feel of them,

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The manual shows a line on the gl forks about 1 inch from the top of the actual tube but in the manual it didn't say if it was a 500 or 650.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Several suspension questions on my 83 GL650 Interstate - 52.5k miles

1. Are the top of the forks supposed to be even with the triple clamp, or up about an inch? On the GL500's, there is a line/notch on the slider showing the proper location, but there is no line on my 650.

2. Has anyone here installed the RaceTech springs and GoldValve emulator kits? I would appreciate feedback on the handling changes/improvements.

3. I get an odd metallic tinking/clunking sound that appears to be coming from the rear shock/Pro-Link when paddling the bike around. More going backwards than forwards. The bike seems to sit very low in the rear, even w/ 50psi in the shock. I'm planning on pulling & examining the shock & P-L linkage. Any suggestions in particular?

4. For those who have purchased the Hagon rear shock, has it been worth the money for you? Handling improved? Where and how much improvment? Durability?

I'm seriously considering doing the RaceTech/Hagon upgrades, but it's hard to spend $700 in suspension on an $800 bike.

5. Are there any sport-touring tires available in the 100/90-19 & 130/90-16 sizes for the SilverWing besides the BT-45's? No tire war/thread please, just haven't seen a lot of choices in the ST range. Most everything seems to be aimet at the touring or cruiser market.

Thx.I have Shinko 712s on mine also my 11.2k shock for sale.GJ

·
Registered
546 Posts
The manual shows a line on the gl forks about 1 inch from the top of the actual tube but in the manual it didn't say if it was a 500 or 650.

500 Don. No line on my 650. 650 uses a different air system, with individual schraders v the 500 balance tube. The tube requires the forks to sit a bit higher in the trips.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
500 Don. No line on my 650. 650 uses a different air system, with individual schraders v the 500 balance tube. The tube requires the forks to sit a bit higher in the trips.
Dennis Kirk has a crossover kit for the 650 that works great if you don't follow the directions. Don't use the nuts that they supply with the kit.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I slid the fork up about 15mm, will bring them back up to level or 5mm.

I've sent an email off to Shinko asking them to rate their bias tires from stickiest to longest-lasting. It appears that B-stone makes a BT-39 BattleAx that is stickier than the BT-45, but doesn't bring it to the U.S.A.

Hopefully I'll get the rear suspension apart tomorrow. Still torn between oil/seals on the shock (or buying GJ's) and going with the Hagon. I'm leaning real strongly to go full-bore on the suspension. Hopefully the bike will live long enought to make the investment worthwhile. Another project out of hand, with the good suspension parts, tires, normal maintenance and a few farkles, it looks like I'll have close to 2k in the bike. Maybe someday I'll learn to just buy perfect-condition bikes and pay a bit more up front. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.