Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am using the xvs1100 shock built by Steve. He made the clevis 3/8" longer which raised the back of my bike one inch. I had to compress the shock 1/4" to install it. You will probably have to make mods to the prolink to put anything longer in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am using the xvs1100 shock built by Steve. He made the clevis 3/8" longer which raised the back of my bike one inch. I had to compress the shock 1/4" to install it. You will probably have to make mods to the prolink to put anything longer in there.

That sounds perfect. I'm not looking for any excessive raise. I'm modding the frame slightly as well. I just want a little more travel and a sportier ride. 12 1/4" or 12 1/2" would be good. I'm raising the seat frame about an inch. Just enough to cheat that parallel line to the ground from front to back.

What did Steve charge you? However, I'm not sure the xvs1100 is the kind of ride I'm looking for. How does it feel??

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like the sporty ride of the shock, but I weigh 250# and I ride two up some. if you are smaller than that, it may be too stiff for you. I also have raised my forks up in the triple tree one inch. The bike is responsive and turns in much quicker.

Contact Steve in PA directly for costs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds great. I'm 155lb though, and unless I take the time to build a seat that transforms in to a two up seat, it'll be a one person rider. I'm just looking for a sporty ride. I'm trying to create an 80's type retro sport bike (not exactly cafe) with a modern twist here and there. So, that's the ride I'm trying to attain.

The stock shock was pretty mushy interstate style.

I was just thinking putting another cruiser shock in there wouldn't feel right, but I guess I haven't been taking weight into consideration.

I don't know much about shocks, is there a rating number system or something to classify their weight handling/throw?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sounds great. I'm 155lb though, and unless I take the time to build a seat that transforms in to a two up seat, it'll be a one person rider. I'm just looking for a sporty ride. I'm trying to create an 80's type retro sport bike (not exactly cafe) with a modern twist here and there. So, that's the ride I'm trying to attain.

The stock shock was pretty mushy interstate style.

I was just thinking putting another cruiser shock in there wouldn't feel right, but I guess I haven't been taking weight into consideration.

I don't know much about shocks, is there a rating number system or something to classify their weight handling/throw?

The XVS650 shock conversion would work well for you.

Hagon also makes a shock for your bike and will custom build one for you as per your weight and riding style. Plan on spending $600 or so for the custom Hagon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 83 GL650i has a rear a shock that does not hold air longer than a 5 mile ride. :drunk

I'm looking to replace the OEM air shock with something with a metal spring, possibly a CBRF4 rear shoock unit:

It will involve cutting one of the mounting holes and fabricate a clevis type mounting point for the unit.

Does anyone have dimensions of the rear chock unit for GL650?

I know the shock length (eye-yo-eye) is about 295mm (11 5/8")

What are the width of the top mounting hole and bottom clevis?

What are the upper and lower mounting point holes diameter and width for the bushings?

Please help.

Thank you

·
Registered
253 Posts
I’ll bring this one back from the dead.

A GL500 lower shock mount and GL650 are different. However the 500 is just a cast piece with a steel mount welded to it. The 650 is completely cast.

Why not just use the 500 link on the 650 swingarm? That could work, but you would need to move the 650 bushings (NLA) from the shock mount to the 500 link. They appear to just press out. The 500 bushings are about 5mm longer than the 650’s. In case you’re wondering. Those shock mounts are 50mm ID and OD respectively.

I’m going to grind off the top of the 650 link and have a proper shock mount welded to it (like a 500). The 500 is in front, 650 behind.

4BCDD6FF-4F13-4E57-8C34-3B7DC364D62E.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ll bring this one back from the dead.

A GL500 lower shock mount and GL650 are different. However the 500 is just a cast piece with a steel mount welded to it. The 650 is completely cast.

Why not just use the 500 link on the 650 swingarm? That could work, but you would need to move the 650 bushings (NLA) from the shock mount to the 500 link. They appear to just press out. The 500 bushings are about 5mm longer than the 650’s. In case you’re wondering. Those shock mounts are 50mm ID and OD respectively.

I’m going to grind off the top of the 650 link and have a proper shock mount welded to it (like a 500). The 500 is in front, 650 behind.

View attachment 151513
I actually just did this on my GL650. I used the GL500 bushings (as my 650 bushings were shot), and just shortened them. The linkage will fit in the GL650 swing only without the inner grease caps. Instead of the caps I used a thrust needle bearing and a nylon washer that fit over the bearing to both help keep the grease in the joint and articulate. It seems to work perfect so far with zero play, noise, or binding. I haven't put many miles on it yet though as I have yet to make a proper seat for the bike.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I actually just did this on my GL650. I used the GL500 bushings (as my 650 bushings were shot), and just shortened them. The linkage will fit in the GL650 swing only without the inner grease caps. Instead of the caps I used a thrust needle bearing and a nylon washer that fit over the bearing to both help keep the grease in the joint and articulate. It seems to work perfect so far with zero play, noise, or binding. I haven't put many miles on it yet though as I have yet to make a proper seat for the bike.

Its amazing how alike and how different the fit is between the two.

·
Registered
138 Posts
im running a rear shock stolen from a Honda Translap.
Fits and works a treat. and looks pretty cool.
I've currently got it out of the bike so if anyone wants a pic of it out give me a shout and ill run out to the garage.

IMG20180804060026_1533319730984.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kickaston,
Did you happen to have a photo to share of the final setup?
I'll attach an image, are you saying this particular caps had to be removed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
im running a rear shock stolen from a Honda Translap.
Fits and works a treat. and looks pretty cool.
I've currently got it out of the bike so if anyone wants a pic of it out give me a shout and ill run out to the garage.

View attachment 174711
I know its a dead thread but do you happen to remember what year and model you got your shock from?? iim trying to find a straight fit for my gl500i

41 - 53 of 53 Posts