Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
UPDATE!

Today I installed the modded XVS650 shock on my GL650 and went for a ride. If anything the ride is smoother than what the XVS1100 shock afforded. Smooth and supple is how I would describe it. I am stoked!

Here is a pic of the two XVS shocks side by side

The xvs650 shock is on the left

My next step is to put together a mod for the GL500 using the XVS650 shock- stay tuned.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey Steve,

I installed the 650 shock on my GL500 last Friday and then rode 270 miles. Posted a basic review of my findings HERE.

Anxious to find out what else you might have in store for this combo. Also should note that I mounted it inverted(Pressurized Nitrogen, so it doesn't matter).

EDIT: Looks like you monted it inverted as well from the pic above.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I have the adjuster at the bottom, much easier to adjust and the only way I could get it to convert easily.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was working on the XVS650 to GL500 Shock conversion the other day...

First I cut the collar mostly off, like on the GL650 conversion...

And I welded up a "clevis"-- This one is 47mm wide overall. It is to the left in the pic. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Continuing on in the same basic way as the GL650 shock, I bolted the new clevis to the shock and drilled using 1/2" bit . I used 2 1/2" x 3/8" flanged bushings and a piece of 3/8" brass nipple To build a "collar". Red LockTite was used to bond everything together. The overall "diameter" of the collar is 30mm, and the Length is 50mm, and the bore is 10mm, same as the Honda GL500 shock, so it should fit OK.

The next step it to bush the top collar to 10mm, tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Tom, I just entered a bid. I have bought 3 shocks from Pinwall, always good service. Shipping here in the states is $13.33.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After working on this GL500 piece I am re thinking the method of conversion. Welding the clevis is time consuming as is cutting off the bottom collar, drilling, tapping, re bushing etc.

While making a clevis is necessary for the GL650, for the next GL500 shock I am going to try keeping the existing bottom collar and bushing it down to 10mm. I will have to cut the length of the existing black bushings down to get the overall length of the collar to be 50mm, but this should be easily accomplished. I am also sourcing 12mm x 10mm bronze bushings so I won't have to turn down and bore out the 1/2" x 3/8" bushings, also a time consuming task.

Using the existing bottom collar leaves the shock length 1 1/8" short. The XVS650 is 10 1/2" C to C while the GL500 shock is 11 5/8". I am thinking if I remove the top collar and use a coupler nut and a length of M12x1.25 I will be able to lengthen the shock center to center. By changing the coupler nut length I will be able to have some adjustability of the shock length. I was having trouble sourcing the M12x1.25 coupler nuts until I found that is a common lug nut size. I had also considered replacing the top collar with a Heim Joint but this is an additional expense and I am really trying to keep the cost down as low as possible.

I did not do much today on the shock I am working on, but tomorrow is another day!

·
Registered
523 Posts
While making a clevis is necessary for the GL650, for the next GL500 shock I am going to try keeping the existing bottom collar and bushing it down to 10mm. I will have to cut the length of the existing black bushings down to get the overall length of the collar to be 50mm, but this should be easily accomplished. I am also sourcing 12mm x 10mm bronze bushings so I won't have to turn down and bore out the 1/2" x 3/8" bushings, also a time consuming task.

Using the existing bottom collar leaves the shock length 1 1/8" short. The XVS650 is 10 1/2" C to C while the GL500 shock is 11 5/8". I am thinking if I remove the top collar and use a coupler nut and a length of M12x1.25 I will be able to lengthen the shock center to center. By changing the coupler nut length I will be able to have some adjustability of the shock length. I was having trouble sourcing the M12x1.25 coupler nuts until I found that is a common lug nut size. I had also considered replacing the top collar with a Heim Joint but this is an additional expense and I am really trying to keep the cost down as low as possible.

I did not do much today on the shock I am working on, but tomorrow is another day!
You must have better tools than I do. I tried to cut down the existing black bushings(because I had build a metal tube "sleeve" to insert into them that shimmed them down to the 10mm), but I couldn't hardly put a scratch into that metal bushing. It's SUPER Hardened steel. I cut metal all the time, but couldn't with that. (needless to say, I was pissed.) I ended up getting some hard rubber hose and slipping my sleeve into the hose and then slipping the hose into where the collar bushings were. Then used a couple of thin washers to shim the length up of the bottom collar up.

Not really sure what you are doing with the top collar to lengthen it, but it really needs some more length as my bike squats pretty low right now. Waiting to hear what you find.

PS: I really need to take those final suspension measurements as they are now and get them posted soon. Sorry for the delay on that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm doing the same modification to my gl 500 as seen here Starting the teardown

But my measurements are a little different. My OEM shock is the same at 11 1/2" but my XVS shock is 10 5/8" a difference of just 7/8"

I wonder what the diffence is ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm doing the same modification to my gl 500 as seen here Starting the teardown

But my measurements are a little different. My OEM shock is the same at 11 1/2" but my XVS shock is 10 5/8" a difference of just 7/8"

I wonder what the diffence is ?
I think I measured mine about 1"(still have the picture)... so who knows.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Looking Good Tom! Thanks so much for posting. It is an evolutionary process. Necessity is the mother of invention for sure.

I know you will really like the ride.

The 2 GL650 shocks I own are different, being 11 3/8' and 11 5/8' C to C, so there must have been some variance when they were manufactured. 11 1/2" is right in the middle and should work perfect.

I purchased a Yamaha shock wrench to adjust the preload...the dinky little one that came in my Honda toolkit doesn't hack it. I have been riding solo with it set on "3", but I am going to go up a notch for my ride down to Marlinton WV later this week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, being one to leap before I look, I went ahead and bought an XVS 650 shock to try this out on my Silverwing. What's got me concerned, now that I have one in my hands, is that the stroke is only about 35mm when the stock shock's stroke is 47mm (according to the manual.)

Steve, can you update us on yours? I'm almost always riding 2-up with a light load in the bags (say 325lbs), and I'm concerned about bottoming with 25% less stroke. I suppose with enough spring pre-load, you wouldn't use all of the stroke.

Anyway, I wanted to check before I tear up the shock. If I use it, I will be milling a new top-end out of aluminum to lengthen the shock and match the stock top-end, then re-bush the other end for the bottom.

Thanks,

paul

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
... and I had a spacer that I drilled out to adjust to get the 4 cm,BUT I put the spacer on one side as the stock shock top mounting point is offset(WHY ??Honda knows why)maybe for the bolt clearance
To which side, and by how much? I don't have the stock shock to compare.

I purchased a Yamaha shock wrench to adjust the preload...the dinky little one that came in my Honda toolkit doesn't hack it.
Part number? I'll try to verify that it will fit the Warrior shock I'll be using.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, being one to leap before I look, I went ahead and bought an XVS 650 shock to try this out on my Silverwing. What's got me concerned, now that I have one in my hands, is that the stroke is only about 35mm when the stock shock's stroke is 47mm (according to the manual.)

Steve, can you update us on yours? I'm almost always riding 2-up with a light load in the bags (say 325lbs), and I'm concerned about bottoming with 25% less stroke. I suppose with enough spring pre-load, you wouldn't use all of the stroke.

Anyway, I wanted to check before I tear up the shock. If I use it, I will be milling a new top-end out of aluminum to lengthen the shock and match the stock top-end, then re-bush the other end for the bottom.

Thanks,

paul

I have never bottomed out with my xvs650 shock, even with me and full bags, and aggressive riding style. I weigh in at about 250 with gear, and use a GL1100 top case and the hard bags loaded up with another 50-60lbs and have not had a problem.. I have my spring preload set on the third notch from softest.. For 2 up I would try the 4th notch.

Good luck with the mod and post back on how it works out!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Part number? I'll try to verify that it will fit the Warrior shock I'll be using.

Thanks,

R

I don't have a part number, but it was listed as being for a xvs650. Any of the monoshock adjusters should work though. The wrenches for the dual shocks are usually too small

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never bottomed out with my xvs650 shock, even with me and full bags, and aggressive riding style. I weigh in at about 250 with gear, and use a GL1100 top case and the hard bags loaded up with another 50-60lbs and have not had a problem.. I have my spring preload set on the third notch from softest.. For 2 up I would try the 4th notch.

Good luck with the mod and post back on how it works out!

Alright, I'm gonna give her a try. I'm an amateur with a mill, but I'll take pictures. I think I've got enough metal to make a mistake or two!
First step is to get the end off the XVS650 shock so that I can see what I'm dealing with there!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Alright, I'm gonna give her a try. I'm an amateur with a mill, but I'll take pictures. I think I've got enough metal to make a mistake or two!
First step is to get the end off the XVS650 shock so that I can see what I'm dealing with there!

The end of the shock is threaded on the chrome shaft. They use thread locker. The spring must be compressed and removed first. The trick is holding the shiny shaft tight enough to prevent it from turning. Heating the end will melt the thread locker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade the rear shock on a GL650. Appears the stock shock is 11.5". What's the limitations of raising the rear end without having to modify the frame mounting? I wouldn't mind having a sportier shock and raise it about an inch. Thoughts? I was thinking maybe a CBR or GSXR mono shock might be able to be mounted. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
The max length shock the frame will tolerate is about 13-1/4", but the linkage binds about 3/4" over stock. I've modified the linkage components to overcome that.

I'm also finding some interference between the brake linkage tube and the coil on the shock I'm using. If your replacement is as narrow as stock in that area, you'll be fine.

R

21 - 40 of 53 Posts