Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The black rectangle is my Iphone holder (cigarette lighter outlet for charger is under the soft cover, with the CB radio. The black button just outboard the horn button is the Push to Talk button for the CB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I ride with mesh armored pants in warm weather, Tourmaster brand. Richnct. Thanks for the scoop pictures.I will see if I can find something similar at Dennis Kirk. They would probably work better than my ideas and would be easier to install. Is there a brand on them?

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
Ah, aftermarket deflectors. I thought those were intended to keep you warmer on cool days (I have a set of Dnepr/Ural leg shields that I put on my GoldWing for that but they are off more than they are on).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sidecar Bob, If it is not too much trouble, could you post a picture of the Ural leg shields?

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
This is the best pic I have of them, taken when I first installed them. I can unbolt them from the brackets or bolt them back on in a couple of minutes. They are great in cool or wet weather, keeping my legs really warm & dry but this time of year it is warm enough on the 'Wing without them so they spend most of the time in the saddlebag with my rainsuit & toolkit and since I don't take a lot of pics when the sun isn't shining I don't have any other pics with them on

They are designed to fit Urals & Dneprs with boxer engines in double cradle style frames, the wider part at the bottom sitting close to the frame and just above the cylinders and the cutouts allowing them to fit around the tank (I had to make longer brackets for them to fit on the 'Wing and trim the left one to clear the engine guard)
https://moto-boxer.com/images/IMG_1234.JPG

Here's the metal version (mine are plastic) on the machine they were designed for
Dnepr MT16  - Left Side

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My bro'law has two newer GW1800s that have deflectors that can bring cool air or hot air to the rider, depending on the position. It might be there are actually 2 pair of them, I don't remember. Mine could not bring heat in their current location at least. But I think when "closed on the front" they keep out a little more of the passing cool air, so that helps in cold weather. I make minor contact with my knees sometimes, but not much. I'll look, but I don't think there is a brand on mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, now I know why you call yourself Sidecar Bob. That is a very neat setup and I think I could get my wife to ride with me if I had a sidecar like yours. She doesn't like wind blowing on her. Anyway, I may have found my answer to my heat issue but need to make some changes to make it work better. Will send pictures when done but won't really know if the idea will work until we get warmer weather. In the low 70's for the next couple of days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I can't believe how long I spent implementing this simple fix. I thought if nothing else it would give the viewer a good laugh. At least it accomplishes getting cool air to my legs where I need it. Do you think a need to take out a patent?:)
Air scoop 1.jpg
Air scoop 2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
Does it work? If so, that is truly cool....

BTW: A sidecar's nose can do odd things to the airflow around the bike. In the case of Eccles that meant that it blew the hot air from the engine & rad onto my left leg, almost roasting it on warm days while the wind between bike and sidecar kept the right one comfortable. But when it was cold out (it is the winter machine, after all) my left leg was comfortable but the right froze.
After living with it for years (I seldom use Eccles in hot weather and I mount lowers when it is cold out) a solution occurred to me that is as unorthodox as yours (but it did take a bit more effort)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Now that definitely looks like a lot of work. I would certainly perish before I would get it done. Hope it gets all the warm and cold air in the right places.

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
It is actually pretty comfortable in all temperatures now. The biggest problem is that I chose a rad that is about the same area as the original and with the air blowing through between the bike & sidecar like that it overcools the engine a bit under most conditions. The rad I replaced with that setup almost fell apart in my hands after 7 winters so I expect this one will need to be replaced eventually (8 winters so far) and when I do I'll look for something about the same width but 20% shorter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Put "carbon fibre" vinyl on them and you'll gain 10% horsepower

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
In another thread highway pegs are being discussed. I will add here that I use them to get my legs in the cooler airflow when on hot days, especially on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I saw those clamps in your photo of your footpeds and wondered what they were for.
You could even put a funnel at the front end for more air. ;)

I can't believe how long I spent implementing this simple fix. I thought if nothing else it would give the viewer a good laugh. At least it accomplishes getting cool air to my legs where I need it. Do you think a need to take out a patent?:) View attachment 202629

21 - 38 of 38 Posts