Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heat coming off of my GL650 onto my upper legs is very uncomfortable in warm weather (above 75 degrees F). Any ideas on how to get more fresh air to my legs or how to block the heat from the engine? Not a problem on my GL500.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what winter lowers look like but mine have one louver. I thought it was letting fresh air out so I covered them to but it made no difference. I have tried holding my legs out but it is uncomfortable because I am 75 and have a hip replacement. Also tried removing the lowers but it was actually more uncomfortable. I did notice today that the inside of the fairing near the bottom where it ends is very warm. I tried using a 2" tube positioned between the lower fairing and the radiator then routed over the head to see if I could get cooler air to my legs but that did not work. This weekend I am going to try putting a shield over the top of the heads to try routing the hot air over the heads than then down. Thanks guys for chiming in guys. If you think of anything else to try, let me know. I have also tried swapping the valve covers from my GL500 since I don't have a heat problem with it, but that also failed. I love my GL500 but bought the 650 thinking that it would fix the one deficiency with the 500's lack of power but the heat issue will be the deal breaker between keeping the 650 or the 500.

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts
I feel the heat on my legs, from my CX650ED, when the cooling fan kicks in.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
2nd question about airdam

·
Registered
317 Posts
They’re just warm. But it will dry your rain soaked pants nicely. And if you can get your Feet/boots up near there too, they will dry out in time.

Reactions: John norman

·
Registered
152 Posts
I love the power of my 650 and I don't mind the heat so much on hot days.
If it did bother me, I'd probably try to attach some ' scoops' to the lowers to pull fresh air in. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, so it would be an experiment

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been gone a couple of days but I will try to comment now on the suggestions from everyone, and thank you all for your input. First of all, I am not certain what the air dams are but think sidecar Bob might be referring to the grills on either side of the headlight that delivers fresh air to the vents that are on the inside of the fairing that say "open" or "close". If we are talking about the same thing,then yes they function perfectly but have little effect on the heat issue. The temp gauge needle is between 1/3rd to 1/2 on the gauge range but can creep up over the halfway point until the fan comes on. I think the fan has only come on twice since I have owned the bike. I will look in the service manual to see how to test the operation of the fan. I think it is OK since my GL500 reacts the same way. The temp gauge is in the normal range and the fan is not running when I am getting uncomfortable heat on my legs going down the road. I have tried adding tubes on the inside of the lowers to get more air back to my legs but I am going to try taping the tubes to the outside of the lowers and directing them to my legs to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then I am going to try putting a shield over the top of the valve covers to try to block the heat. I do like the philosophy of making lemonade out of lemons by using the hot air to dry wet clothes or boots. I may try slow roasting a beef roast or chicken.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
The air dam is located on top of the engine behind the thermostat. Your 500 fan runs at all times where the 650 is controlled by a temp switch so there really no comparison between the two. I would not cover the valve covers as you may over heat the engine? I ride in some really hot weather mostly on my 500 and I have never had hot legs? My 650 is just sitting at the moment.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
"If it did bother me, I'd probably try to attach some ' scoops' to the lowers to pull fresh air in. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, so it would be an experiment " Now you have. I have the side "scoops" off a GW I think, see thru yellowish color, I use them when it's hot, seem to make a difference. On my GL650I.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
On our annual ride, I didn't notice any heat difference between my GL500 and my GL650. Both standards. I could put my legs on top of the valve covers. I mention that because you said you tried changing the valve covers to see if there was a change.
I wore mesh pants over shorts on the ride. Sometimes I wear shorts and shinguards commuting to work.
The engine seems to feel cooler than the air cooled engines of my youth.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
OK, more orange than yellow. I supposed they were GW farkles, most of the ornaments I get with parts bikes seem to originate with GWs, but perhaps not OEM. I've had 2 pairs of them over the years.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts