Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GL650 Clutch basket issue - assistance needed

I am working on a 1983 GL-650. I pulled the clutch pack out. As I am reinstalling the clutch outer housing, I can not get it to seat into the engine thoroughly. I think it is because of the two gears on the outside of the housing are offset. It is sliding in on the first ring and hitting the rear teeth. See the picture below.

I see no refrence to this online or in my Clymer manual. Below are the parts I have pulled out in the order I am putting them back in.

Clutch cover, Lifter plate and springs, lock washer (directional) and locknut

Pressure Plate, Clutch Pack, Clutch outerhousing, roller bearing, bushing and Thrust washer.

This is a picture of the outer housing not fully seated.

Picture of the front of the engine

If I remove the bushing, the outer housing will slide all the way back into the engine. I think this is because with the extra play the outer housing can sit lower and clear the offset teeth. There is no play in the outer gear rings on the outer housing. I tried to hit them with a brass punch to shift them into alignment with no luck. Has anyone see this issue before?

·
Registered
800 Posts
This is normal, the clutch basket gear tooth off-set is not uniform all the way around, they will line up at one spot.
1) Either look for the teeth that line-up and install the clutch so that they engage the primary gear at that point.
2) Put a wrench /socket on the primary gear and rotate the engine clockwise while pushing in on the clutch basket, rotate until basket drops in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have given this a try two separate times with no luck. Any other advice? I am thinking of going to a machine shop and see if they can align the gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it to pop-in. It took two of us, one to realize I was not seating the bearing bushing correctly. We took a piece of flat steel I had and laid it edgewise across the basket. While I turned the engine with a socket, my friend held the flat stock. When I released pressure, it popped in. Noticed the clutch cable was frayed at the bottom and the top is cracked so off to the shop looking for a new cable.

Re-routing the throttle cable is next!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
download a copy of the FSM too - that Clymer manual is wanting in more than a few places

1 - 7 of 7 Posts