Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to move if this is in the wrong spot of previously discussed for this engine!

okay here is the story. So I got 2 bikes from this guy (I regret it already) one was an 82 gl500i (full fairing and bags etc) the other was and 83 gl650 (partial bike, missing rear end). My goal was to build a touring bike. Well they both have sat out in a field for atleast a year maybe 2. I live in Louisiana and it's 90 percent humidity all year and the bikes weren't covered. The 650 have one valve cover off and spark plugs out, engine was chalked full of water and mud ; but both engines turned over freely. So I loaded em up and went home.

I got both engines pulled out and started tearing down the 650; bc that's the engine I want too keep. Well as I said it was full of water, rust, and mud. So I take the heads off, they looked like trash but brand new gaskets and they actually cleaned off easily. And there was still coolant in the water jacket crystal clear, and too my new gasket theory.

Anyway I go to take the rear cover off and the last picture is what I find. Again not that worried it was full of water I expected that. But what I wasn't expecting was a broken cam chain that was broken in 2 locations.

My question is why did it break, and what do I need to replace to prevent this. I have no information on what was done to the bike, don't know the status of when it ran last and how. I've been reading a few posts on cams and I have the service manual printed out just not comfortable enough w my knowledge on what looks okay good or trashed. Can provide more pics if needed.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it looks like the auto tensioner broke, can you take a picture of the opposite end of the tensioner
I think this is the part you mean

As I was taking the picture just now I tried to squeeze in the plunger and it was bound. But I got it free (kept squeezing). Now it moves freely, could that have been the issue it was jammed up??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so I still need to replace all 3 pieces? If I remember correctly the auto tensioner isn't available anymore?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have another 500 engine so I'll take the chain from that one since they are the same. Ive looked on eBay and found the railed in the UK and about 50 a peice but not the auto anywhere

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4!! thanks so much I'll do some more research and see if I can locate an auto tensioner.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I think you would be better to replace the cam chain with a new one. The used one is probably at the end of its life too so swapping a stretched on into your motor is asking for a repeat performance of the last one . Just my thoughts from afar. I woulldnt do it anyways

·
Registered
221 Posts
Take a good look at the damage. The engine I have bent the guide pin and broke a tooth off the crank gear. Now there is a possibility that it bent the valves. I found another engine, so now it will be a winter project to finish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok i dont see any beaks in it
when you push the plunger inwards does it remain locked in place or does it collapse ?
I'm not sure what you mean by collapse, but it springs back out instantly when I remover pressure holding it in.

Also I'll look at sourcing a chain, I went over the heads a little. There is one valve that leaks but I have to lap them and clean the seats. I may have it professionally done just so I know what I'm working with. I have the complete engine gasket set.

Picture is after I washed it and then sent it through my ultrasonic cleaner. But I think it's about 50 a head for the dealership to work them.

This is a set of used OEM blade and guide. There is also a set of new aftermarket blade and guide that would cost about the sme would OEM be best?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so it retracted as soon as you pushed it in? without you doing anything other than pushing on the plunger?
Yes, the first time I tried to depress it, it was in a bind, I applied a little more pressure with just my hand. It gave and now will depress freely and immediately springs back out

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
You may find this article on the automatic adjuster interesting. Tensioner Modification - 1983 Honda CX650 Custom Infosite
As I understant it, the adjuster should not push in until the ball is push against and compresses the ball spring. There is something wrong if the plunger moves in and out freely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts