Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
that's what I suspected, Thanks for easing my mind.

You are welcome.

However, not wanting your mind to "at ease", you should know that there comes a point when the automatic tensioner reaches it's limit. At that time the cam chain needs to be replaced. There is a way to inspect it with a small mirror stuck in the inspection port on the right side. There were some postings about the technique on the old site. One of us can direct you more if you'd like more information.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read those postings, the bike has less than 7000 miles on it, I should be good for a while, I hope.

I just adjusted the valves, been wanting to do it for a while, but the bike has been my only ride to work, so it was never "cold". Any way, found both intakes on the right cylinder with no clearance, and both exhaust on the left with no clearance. It runs better, there is a lot of tappet noise, but a knocking noise went away. I guess it was combustion leaking through the over tight valves.

The biggest remaining task is cleaning the carbs (again) I've got Larry's book to guide me, so there's a pretty good chance of success.

Thanks to all the people on this forum who have helped me, and other neophytes, through the trials and tribulations of making an old motorcycle road worthy again.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
"less than 7000 miles", yes you should be good for a really long time, unless you ride 50k a year. Sounds like you have a great bike and are having a good time working on it. It's kind of rewarding, isnt it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't have an actual GL650 book just a GL500 one. So I was struggling with this, glad to know it's automatic tensioning. So THEN how long will that last? Mine has near 30K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts