Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it took nearly three years, but I'm pretty much done with my bike!

I need some help, though. Apparently, it's not recharging the battery, and I don't know how to isolate the problem. I always wondered why the bike was originally set aside, and I may have found the issue... After about 10 miles of riding yesterday, I accidentally killed it at an intersection and the starter barely kicked over. I rode it straight home and after I shut it down, it wouldn't kick over at all. I put in on the battery tender overnight, and it kicked over fine this morning - but I realized when I got to work that I hadn't had the ignition on, so I didn't have a full draw on the battery.

Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
915 Posts
That is a great looking bike you have there. Good luck with the charging issues.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Aggie....great looking bike! Like the stripes, paint, seat, etc.

Charging questions....well, I hate to break it to you, but I suspect your Stator is gone. Your EXACT circumstance was experienced by myself a month ago. I'm in the middle of replaceing my stator.

With the batter fully charged you should have about 12.5 - 13 volts when measured across the terminals. With the kill switch turned to off, measure the voltage drop across the battery when hitting the starter motor. Should drop to 10'ish volts, maybe to 9.5 volts. Start the bike and measure the charge across the terminals. Should be 13.5 - 14.5 volts, but not higher than 14.8 volts. If you're not near this voltage with the bike running, probably the stator has gone.

Also, there's a link somewhere (trying to find it) on how to measure the variance in resistance on the stator connection plug (three yellow wires). That connector plug may also tell the story, as it's got to be in excellent shape to conduct the electrical flow. The gist is, with the motor off, if you get any variance in ohm resistance between all three connections (in rotation) your stator is gone. Trying to find the link....

·
Registered
192 Posts
The charging system has AC and DC voltage. First chek the DC voltage at the battery while the bike is running at aprox 3K rpm. The voltage should be 14+ VDC. If the DC voltage is low then you must check the AC voltage as it enters the voltage regulator. Usually 3 wires and each wire should read 50+VAC at aprox 3K rpm. If this checks out then your regulator may be faulty, if it does not check out then your stator is faulty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. Your help is very much appreciated. I'll update you when I'm able to diagnose it. Big week, so it could be this weekend...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks stunning man, very well done. Hope you resolve those charging gremlins. What wheels are they, they don't look like std issue?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks stunning man, very well done. Hope you resolve those charging gremlins. What wheels are they, they don't look like std issue?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
build looks awesome. very clean work. Are you thinking of dropping the front end down at all?

That's actually a good idea. I installed the Progressive springs, so that should have dropped it a bit, but I didn't measure beforehand to compare. I think the back sits a bit low, but I've cranked up the monoshock about as much as I can. Lowering the front a bit may help. I'll slide the forks up about an inch and see how I like it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

They're stock wheels, but I stripped the black paint and polished the machined surfaces. It started life as a GL650 Silverwing Interstate...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for that. With regards to ride height, I found that dropping the forks through on my CX helped a bit with regards to both looks and so I could touch the floor (I'm only about 5' 8") comfortably. They're through about an Inch and a half..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unplug the regulator and while running you should get 50-70 vac across any 2 of the yellow wires. All 3(1/2,1/3,2/3) pairings should give equal voltage. For more info go to The "GS Resources" a Suzuki site w an article called "The Stator Pages"-good info. the web has tons of stuff-I've gone so far as even rewinding stators by hand(not easy but doable)! I've only had my GL a few months but already have added fork springs,Yamaha shock,rearset the pegs & shortened shifter and brake pedal. I was very lucky to find mine as it had only 11.2k original miles. I'm very happy w it as now it handles well,is faster than I believed GLs to be,and it will toodle along @ 35-45 in 5th like a big scooter. I love 80s bikes and about 2/3 of the nearly 50 I've owned have been from that era. Don't be bummed if you have to pull the engine to swap stators-mine had a bad starter clutch and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the mill came out and went back in. I did it solo w a floor jack.GJ

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, it took nearly three years, but I'm pretty much done with my bike!

I need some help, though. Apparently, it's not recharging the battery, and I don't know how to isolate the problem. I always wondered why the bike was originally set aside, and I may have found the issue... After about 10 miles of riding yesterday, I accidentally killed it at an intersection and the starter barely kicked over. I rode it straight home and after I shut it down, it wouldn't kick over at all. I put in on the battery tender overnight, and it kicked over fine this morning - but I realized when I got to work that I hadn't had the ignition on, so I didn't have a full draw on the battery.

Thanks for you input!
Hi, did you use an original seat cover for your seat? Is it made with an old tank? Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, did you use an original seat cover for your seat? Is it made with an old tank? Thank you

The seat was formed from a '76 CB360 tank. The tail light is from a '78 BMW K100S (fits as close to perfect as it gets, I think). I had the seat cushion and cover done by a local upholstery guy who does mostly custom cars/hot rods.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The seat was formed from a '76 CB360 tank. The tail light is from a '78 BMW K100S (fits as close to perfect as it gets, I think). I had the seat cushion and cover done by a local upholstery guy who does mostly custom cars/hot rods.
You did a very nice job!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.