Honda CX 500 Forum banner

GL500I - Tank Bags - Any Favorites?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  instructorpilot 
#1 ·
What is your favorite Tank Bag for GL500I ?

Does anyone have a favorite Tank Bag for their GL500I? It would be a big plus to have one with Back-Pack type shoulder straps.

If anyone has a used one for sale let me know.

Thanks

#3 ·
DaveF

Incredible, I had the same model Eclipse bag around 1977 as a kid and used it on a 1972 Suzuki GT750. I always liked it and just plain wore it out. I had no idea Eclipse was still around. Thanks for the link!

BTW, I stopped in the railroad museum in Kennesaw Ga. last week – I think that must not be too far from your location. Pretty nice place.

Thanks

#4 ·
Here is a photo showing the three mounting points I use with the Eclipse tank bag.

Note this is backwards from the manufacturer's instructions. But it works for me.

One problem encountered is the front lip of the fuel tank will cut into the tank bag strap over many miles. This was corrected by covering the front lip with a section of door edge guard plastic from a discount auto parts store.

Kennesaw is about thirty miles from here. It is located on the northwest side of Atlanta. My location is almost symmetrical - it is on the northeast side of Atlanta.

#5 ·
This is my tank bag, it is a convertible bag consisting of a Magnetic base, a lower bag with usable pack straps and a top bag. Each part has a map pocket and zips together. The two bags have handles too. If I just need a map carrier I use just the base. Either bag can be zipped to the base by itself, or everything can be used at once as in the pic. It holds a LOT. It also has a rain cover stored in the base. The magnets do a good job holding the bag on the tank. I can't remember what brand it is, I bought it off a closeout sale table. There are others very similar though. Fieldsheer Eiffel 2 comes to mind.

Here is a pic and a link to the Eiffel 2 on sale for $44.99 at Motorcycle Superstore (with a strap on base)

Eiffel 2 $44.99

#8 ·
Softie,

Thanks for the link - that looks like a great deal. Have you thought about adding "slide-outs" to your bike? They are a big hit in the RV world.

I rode from Tampa to St. Augustine today on the back roads - great ride though a couple of forest and no coat needed. (about 250 miles) Might be cold on the way back. I'll have to post a couple of pics of my make-shift tank bag for the trip.

Cheers,

Mike

#10 ·
I like Cortech and Tourmaster stuff. Although I actually still have my first Eclipse bag that I bought for my first R80RT. It still has the BMW roundal that I sewed onto it. I even have the original Tourmaster synthetic riding Jacket that I bought at the same time as the tank bag. The eclipse bag is now hanging in the workshop. Ol' bessie has a cortech tribag system that is magnetic. I have a cheepie Bell magnetic bag that I bought from wally world a while back in an emergency. I use it on the '92 CB750SC. The Eclipse bag is usually strapped to the '79 CB750F when I take it on VJMC rides. The Cortech bag is the best of them all simplly because it's easy to reconfigure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.