Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the front wheel from an 82 GL500i so I can replace it with another wheel that I bought and put a new tire on. I went to take the old wheel off the forks today and couldnt get it to come off. I removed the speedo cable, both calipers (found one to be stuck but that's a different story), and the axle caps and figured the the wheel would drop out and I could pop the new one in....WRONG! The tire keeps getting hung up on the brackets holding the front fender on. I dont know what Honda was thinking having the bracket bolts facing the wheel (other than you cant steal the fender maybe?). I cannot get a wrench in there to get the bolts out, and even if I could, the rear bolts are completely inaccessible. I tried pulling it past the brackets but it doesnt want to go...and how will the tire fit back in there when I put the new wheel on??

Any help or advice would be appreciated. The Clymers manual does not help at all, as I believe the procedure only covers the CX models (shows a different picture and doesnt make sense with the GL setup), even though the book itself supposedely covers all CX and GLs.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Maybe a previous owner did it? Would it be possible to hold the bolt with vise grips and get the nut started that way? Instead of holding the head inside?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine was a little tight last weekend, but I cocked the wheel a little to one side and gave a good tug. Same procedure for getting it in. The rubber tire is forgiving and flexible.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always deflate mine and then use a clamp (if needed) to squeeze it enough to clear everything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of letting the air out and trying it that way, but wasnt sure if I can get the new one in the same way. Cocking the wheel to one side is also another good idea. I'll have to try them tomorrow when I get home from work and see if I can get something to work. And to answer Stitch, it is a 110/90-19.

At least I'm not the only one that's having this problem so it's just how the bike is made. While the tire's out I think it'll be time to repaint the front fender to match my fairing finally, since it seems like the only way to get that thing off is to take the wheel off in the first place.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is the tire hitting the fender bolts or the brake hose bracket?

I've had a situation where I could not remove the wheel because the brake hose brackets were put on wrong. The brackets should be placed between the fork and the fender. On my bike, the brackets were mounted on the wrong side and were inside the fender, inhibiting removal of the wheel.

Like the others suggested, I deflated the tire to get it past the brake hose brackets.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.