Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the oem Honda mirrors worth the extra money vs the after market varieties?

Any major differences between the $25 Emgo's (et.al) and the $75 Honda variety?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Not positive but seem to remember there being an issue with vibration in the aftermarket ones,,don't take my word for it though, wait to hear from someone who has experience with them.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I believe you will find that the emgos will buzz more, and also not have the magnifying effect that might be missed. I'm all for saving money, but I might not do it here. I've read that someone saved the OEM mirror glass and installed it in aftermarket housings, don't know how that worked out, or if it did at all.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you ask me (I´ve owned two faired Silver Wings earllier) the answer is YES!

I had the original mirrors on both, but one of the mirrors fell apart, so I bought a couple of these cheap replacements.

The chrome was crap, they vibrated a lot and as their glass wasn´t curved, so you got a more restricted view from them.

The originals are expensive so it´s a matter of what you want to pay. I would say: If you can - buy originals and be, at the most, irritated once (for the cost).

Buy the cheap ones and regret it often.

Only my opinion

Sture

Edit: Typing too slow again. There were no anwsers as I started..

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree that the originals are noticeably superior. With the mirrors mounted on the fairing so far forward , the flat glass aftermarket mirrors give such a small field of view behind that they are not very useful, and maybe dangerous, as they don't show everything behind. The convex originals can be set to show overlapping views to the rear and as well as abeam so that nothing can be missed. Aftermarkets also have different tinting colours and intensities and don't match the originals, so no mixing of types.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many do you need?

I have one original style that I can spare and I have the parts to make it either left hand or right hand.

$25 plus shipping

This is one of those rare occasions when everyone on the forum is in agreement.

If the shipping isn't going to be obscene, I'd love to get the mirror. It will be for the left side, I got the bike with nothing there but some ugly holes and a half bent trim piece:

I have no hardware, so if you can spare it with the mirror, it would come in handy and be appreciated.

PayPal would probably be easiest, I plan on attending the Canadian CX/GL Rally , if you plan on attending I will use the savings in shipping to buy you a fine Canadian beer (is there such a thing?
)

PM me and we can work out the details, eh.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pm sent

If you try Canadian beer, you might get hooked and never drink American beer again!

I see from the pricture you may also need a left hand fairing rubber rail guard or whatever its called?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Silly question - is there a way one can tell the difference between the aftermarket mirror and an OEM when you don't have an example of both?

On my GL500 the mirrors certainly vibrate, and really are unusable on the highway. Chrome never rusts, though (bike is parked outside all year). Compared to my CX500 with mirrors I KNOW are original (totally different style of mirror), the CX500's mirrors never vibrate. But comparing the mirrors on a GL500i to a CX500 is comparing apples & oranges...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Silly question - is there a way one can tell the difference between the aftermarket mirror and an OEM when you don't have an example of both?

On my GL500 the mirrors certainly vibrate, and really are unusable on the highway. Chrome never rusts, though (bike is parked outside all year). Compared to my CX500 with mirrors I KNOW are original (totally different style of mirror), the CX500's mirrors never vibrate. But comparing the mirrors on a GL500i to a CX500 is comparing apples & oranges...

I have no clue, as I've never seen the after market in the flesh. The OEM's have no writing on them that I could see. J the Mayor has an aftermarket and the OEM, hopefully he'll chime in with an easy tell. I suspect heft and feel may be the best way.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
From reading this post I think the aftermarket have a flat glass and the originals have convex.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I have a set of Aftermarkets on mine, as I couldnt fine new OEM ones without paying a bomb. I still have the original ones, but the chrome is pitted. After reading this thread I went and compared them to see which looked better (vision wise)

Its a tough call, as while the original seems to have a slightly curved mirror, the AM ones have a bigger mirror. I think the original ones show a bit more (due to the curve) but the difference is slight and doesnt seem to be noticable enough to me anyway. Guess it depends on the size of AM ones you get, mine are fairly large I guess.

As for shake, they both vibrate about the same, which does drive me a little nut. I may try to fab a bar for it a little shorter than whats on there and see if that helps, but thats near the bottom of the list on things I want to do (riding is #1).

·
Registered
977 Posts

Well. . . I do have an example of both. I have a 1982 naked GL500 and the PO dropped the bike and had to replace the left, OEM, mirror (with a replacement mirror.) I just went out and miked the shaft on both mirrors. The original Honda mirror on the right side measured 13mm (how about that, an American with a metric micrometer) and the replacement mirror on the left side measures 10mm. The Honda mirror is pretty stable and the left mirror vibrates all the time. Billrod

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have had both OEM and AM fairing mirrors on my GL. I did like the OEM slightly better for field of view. Unfortunately I had/have very noticeable vibration with both. I have actually considered removing them and going to handle bar mounted mirrors instead.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have no clue, as I've never seen the after market in the flesh. The OEM's have no writing on them that I could see.
From what I hear that's changed unless you find some really new OLD stock. The new Honda replacements now have all those safety agency initials stamped all over them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the input. It would appear as if I'm in the dark with mine....my bike has had 12 owners before me, and there's a possibility the mirrors have been replaced at some point with non-OEM, but I don't know for certain. Well, at least I know both sets vibrate just as much, so I won't was my money replacing them (there's nothing wrong with them otherwise).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
As I remember there were some minor engravements (letters/digits) on the outside (chromed backside) of the OEM mirrors that weren´t there on the EMGO:s.

The easiest way to tell if it´s an original or aftermarket would be by checking the glass. If it´s curved (as originals are) you should be able to see that from how it sits in its surrounding plastic "gasket/collar/ring" or whatever. If it´s plain - aftermarket!

Has always worked for me, at least...

Sture

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have had good luck using the "Napoleon" brand fairing mounted mirrors.

The ones I have were bought many years ago but they were just as wide an angle of view as the originals. And almost totally vibration-free.

I think I saw them still advertised at Dennis Kirk recently.

Weren't cheap, tho.

Sam Bateman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where do you find OEM mirrors??? Over last month, I did big research to find them: Honda Canada don't have them, I also tryed with Western Hills Honda and Babbitt's with no succes.

I ordered a pair of Emgo from EBay: they vibrate like the OEM I had before but at least, they stay adjusted.

I was willing to pay higher price for the OEM.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AFAIK, they're still in the US parts stream. They were used on several other bikes. Discounthondaparts.com has them listed, and they'll give us a discount of 10%. Just beware of shipping charges to Canada, they can bite sometimes. I didn't get as far as inquiring about them since I got a used one, check availability with them and let us know. Maybe they are NLA, lots of stuff has been getting NLA from Honda lately.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts