Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When the fuel valve is in the ‘on’ position the fuel flows as it should. When the valve is turned to ‘off’ or ‘reserve’ the valve leaks around the selector lever [off, on, reserve] where it enters the body of the valve. I run the machine without difficulty but it would be nice to have the ‘reserve’ fuel capability and avoid running out of fuel. I see in the repair manual Chapter 3 fuel system and lubrication pg112 that there are no o-rings or gaskets between the selector lever and the valve body. Can this valve be repaired with a rebuild kit and stop a fuel leak at this location? Please advise.

I found possible solutions for this issue in the further reading section on this website. I will work through those suggestions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
Your petcock has 2 valves, the vacuum calve which shuts off the flow when the engine is not running and there is no vacuum and the main valve, controlled by the handle. The vacuum valve is rebuildable and kits for that are available but the main valve is not rebuildable.

The seal for the main valve is a rubber wafer with holes in it that have raised ribs around their edges so that the handle can rub against it when turned without a lot of friction. If the wafer was available you could drill out the staked posts that hold the petcock together, drill & tap the body for screws to put it back together and replace the wafer.
As recently as 10 years ago some of us were able to do that but flip the wafer over and get a couple more years out of the petcock.
Some of us experimented with wafers from other petcocks but none of them worked for very long.

Most of us buy inexpensive non-vacuum petcocks on eBay (you need to cap the vacuum barb on the carbs), which also eliminates the difficulty starting if it sits for more than a couple of days that is common with vacuum petcocks.

IIRC, you need to look for a Honda type petcock with 18mm threads (not 18mm wrench for the nut) and preferably 8mm outlet (but mine is 6mm and I had o problem attaching the 5/16 fuel line to it with a hose clamp).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts