Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is dumb and been posted before, very new to wiring and electrical in general- chopped off the back end of my gl and am gonna put some bar end turn signals on the stubs- is it possible to to run the stock blinkers on the front and new leds on the back? am i correct in thinking the small tubular silver piece with the two blade wires and disconnected green ground is the original blinker relay? how does one go about putting a new blinker relay in for the Leds?

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
If you keep the stock bulbs in the front blinkers you probably won't have to change the blinker relay.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
No, I expect that the front bulbs might draw enough current so that the flasher would operate as expected. If it doesn't then it is a simple matter to change the flasher relay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I expect that the front bulbs might draw enough current so that the flasher would operate as expected. If it doesn't then it is a simple matter to change the flasher relay.
interesting, so a relay swap is only necessary if all the bulbs are changed to led? the presence of a single stock bulb keeps the relay functioning?

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
That's what I expect, however I've been wrong before. Nothing lost by trying unless you've already bought a new flasher relay.

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
It depends on the flasher (no, it isn't really a relay). Some of them depend on how much current flows through them to determine the flash rate and flash slower than normal when, for example, a bulb is dead or disconnected (changing one of the lights to a low current LED would do the same). Changing the flasher is really simple and can be done in a couple of minutes (including taking the side cover off to get at it and putting it back on afterward) so I would recommend changing the lights and seeing what happens before worrying about it.

If you do end up needing to change the flasher and the new one has 3 terminals it should be connected as follows:
Gray wire - L (load) terminal
Green/white wire - B (battery/power) terminal
Green wire - E (earth/ground) terminal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts