Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'81 GL500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason why the 35mm version of these wouldn't work for a GL 500?

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Bicycle part Tool

(Picture for when the link breaks/ changes in the future)

I'm going to install a set of clip-ons and wanted to clean up the top triple since it'll have the unused handlebar mounts. Of course I can grind down the existing top triple but I'd prefer not to hack up a perfectly good OEM part.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,665 Posts
The triple clamp needs to match not only the fork tube diameter, but also the fork tube spacing and steering pivot offset. The latter can be changed if replacing both upper and lower yokes.
The former is related to the total wheel bearing and axle spacer assembly. These differ between the CX500 and GL500.

• Helpful
Reactions: kosMD

·
Registered
'81 GL500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I figured there might be a difference in the offsets since they have different frames but wasn't even considering the fork spacing.

EDIT:
Turns out I'm an idiot (more so than usual). They have a gl500 specific clamp on their page... 🤦‍♂️ It's such a rare sight to see aftermarket parts for the GL that I barely look anymore. Not sure how I'll mount the gauges/ ignition since I've been mocking them up with the current triple but that's another rabbit hole to go down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts