Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember on the old forum there was a trunk re-locator for the Gl's that could swing the trunk from sitting on the passenger seat to setting behind the bike by loosening two bolts and swinging it in the opposite direction.

I think Greg (Graywolf) and Randall were kicking around the idea but I cant seem to find the copy of the patent that was floating around.

If memory serves me right it was a Canadian company that offered it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I remember on the old forum there was a trunk re-locator for the Gl's that could swing the trunk from sitting on the passenger seat to setting behind the bike by loosening two bolts and swinging it in the opposite direction.

I think Greg (Graywolf) and Randall were kicking around the idea but I cant seem to find the copy of the patent that was floating around.

Don,

If you remember Al from the Slimey Crud, he has one on one of his BMWs. Next time you are coming this way I could take you to his house to see it and do measurements.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm about due to meet up with Al again. Thought I would be putting it off till May 1st. So the BMW's had them too. Guess I'll be searching that way too.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I will say they tend to bounce up an down somewhat when traveling on a rough road compared to any other type I have followed down the road.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a feeling this one will take a whole gl500 in my parking space to figure out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stitch, I surely wouldn't put your plans on hold though, the more the merrier, right? Maybe I can get my GL over to you for a few days once we get some warm weather and let you be creative if that would help.

·
Registered
168 Posts

I have installed the Triangle units on all my silverwings and sold a few of them on the old site. There were two versions of the mounting brackets, a fixed unit that consists of two side mounting plates, and a pivoting system with two triangle mounting brackets and four pivoting links. All mounted on adapter subframes that were made for several models/manufacturers in the early 80's. I had found a used parts guy in Montreal that had a lot of these NOS parts. I tried to go see him this winter but his shop was closed and could not get an update on whether he still has any of the parts left. I remember buying a set of silverwing mounting brackets for a little over $100 bucks back then. You probably have to add as much for a complete set of side triangles and pivot links. I will try to give him a call and let you know if he still has some. Alternatively, I have seen units at different local bone yards, but you may have to buy a complete back rest to get the triangle parts. I have the mounting instructions with cutout patterns for mounting the units directly to our tall boxes. You could probably get the dimensions off of those templates.

·
Registered
835 Posts
John W

I have two of the triangle racks - one with mounting hardware that is marked XJ750, the other has something that has been buggered and bent.

If you get a chance, see if that guy has a mounting bracket for the '82 CX500 Custom. My intention was always to manufacture something myself,

but I just have never got around to it.

let me know if he has it, and what the prices will be.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll try to give him a call tomorrow, but to be sure of the parts I will probably have to make it to Montreal and I don't expect to be there until mid April. I'll let you guys know if he has anything and you can give me your wish list and I'll try to pick them up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Talked to the guy today and he says he probably has some systems left including the brackets to mount on either the GL's or the CX500, but that he won't go look into his pile of parts unless he has a sale. He is asking for C$200 (plus tax around U$230) for each set (2 chromed triangles, 4 chromed pivot legs and 2 black support brackets with mounting hardware). For the CX's he does not have any of the pivoting back rests left (as per the patent application found elsewhere on the site) but I can probably find one in another location for around $50.

If any of you are still interested let me know.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...................( 2 black support brackets with mounting hardware). For the CX's he does not have .............$50

Hi John,

a firm sale from me for the '2 black support brackets with mounting hardware' for the CX500 Custom - if he has them. I already have all the chrome parts. Willing to pay $50 for the pair.

Thanks in advance

Don A.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.