Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a while and I can't actually find a number. I have found a number of options that people use in place of the stock shock, but I would really like to know what the stock length is. Could you guys maybe post the factory lengths for each of the different models of cx and gl, that way in one thread, everyone has an easy length reference for any suspension swaps or mods they want to try? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asking because its raining like crazy outside and I'm doing research inside.

I'm aware that there is no list. That was an invitation to create one so that people can more easily reference the information. I think a stock suspension length list would be a fine and simple addition to the wiki or as a sticky, if we have people on here who happen to have that information at their fingertips.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I found a copy of the YSS shock listings and it indicted the GL500 has a length of 300-310mm A separate listing for the GL650 is the same length, 300-310mm.

Jerry

·
Registered
400 Posts
the gl500 and gl650 shocks are different though
Yes they have different part numbers. I was only reporting what YSS carries as the length. Based on the listing of 300-310 mm I would guess they are both in this range. If there was a way to post the excel file let me know. Since finding this on the net a few months ago, I have not been able to find it any more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just measured mine for you, and added a pic to boot!

GL500 Shock: Eye-to-Eye ~ 298mm
2002 Yama R1 Shock: Eye-to-Eye ~302mm

I used the above linked, along with another page that I should have bookmarked to figure out what shock I wanted to run. R1 came out on top, and no frame mods, just needs shims/washers :D Best of all, they are widely available on eBay for $40-50 shipped.

IMG_0972.JPG

·
Registered
400 Posts
I didn't consider that shock because of the reservoir, questions on matching up with a heavier bike, and it has 2 eye mounting points. The GL650 has a different lower mounting configuration. I now know you can upgrade the spring to right capacity. But, will it fit? If it does, that might be a nice one to put in.

jerry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my experience using the above mentioned shock. I have a 82 GL500 and wanted to upgrade my rear shock. I used this forum as well as motofaction listing on what shocks could work. I ended up with a 2010 Yamaha YZF R-1 shock. While the fitment was straightforward (With minor adjustment to frames upper shock mount) The ride height is considerably lower than stock.

I was wondering what others have experienced if they have tried this and is there any lift mods I can do to the lower brackets to make this work?

Here's some reference photos

IMG_6663.jpg IMG_6664.jpg IMG_6669.JPG IMG_6668.JPG

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah I seen that one. Was not on my list due to price and lack of cool factor. I may look into replacing the coil to a beefier one and extend the lower linkage an inch or so to give me better ride height. As it is now if I sit on the bike i lose another few inches. I also haven't played with preload adjustment on this one yet. So new spring might not be needed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
OK, using the googles, it seems like the 2010 R1 shock is 295mm, which should be the same as the stock shock. My guess is that the spring rate is much softer than stock and youre sagging the living daylight out of it. It looks like you used the same shock as the Mokka Cycle 'Birdie", but maybe they re sprung it?

I'm searching for a replacement rear shock for my bike as well, and it seems like our front ends should be very similar in height, so we should be one the same page. I'm still looking around for shock specs, and will post up when I find the winning for mine. My CBR forks arrive on Thursday and the bearing kit should follow shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am also using a 2011R1 rear shock. Dropped the rear roughly 1" but I also dropped the front end. Going to finish mock up and see how the bike rides, looks low and mean though :). I also downloaded an R1 manual as it details the four points of adjustment on the rear shock, so plan to adjust for sag etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
After a bit of math I decided 3.5" of clearance without driver between the rear tire and seat hoop with the R1 shock was a bad idea :). So I mocked up a mod to the lower shock mount raising it 5/8". This now provides a much safer 5" and the bike sits more level :).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
After a bit of math I decided 3.5" of clearance without driver between the rear tire and seat hoop with the R1 shock was a bad idea :). So I mocked up a mod to the lower shock mount raising it 5/8". This now provides a much safer 5" and the bike sits more level :).
I know it's an old post but how did this turn out? How did you figure out the angle and measurements of the mod? I have installed an r1 shock on my gl500 and there is too much sag and the cafe hoop rubs.

Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know it's an old post but how did this turn out? How did you figure out the angle and measurements of the mod? I have installed an r1 shock on my gl500 and there is too much sag and the cafe hoop rubs.

Thanks
Turned out awesome. Honestly I worked with a friend of mine who is an ace fabricator, he fitted the hoop etc. I guess a lot of it will depend on the angle of your hoop to frame.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts