Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lakelizerd hear I have a GL500 that doesn't want to Rev past 5000 rpm and one of my nabours said that the stator has low rpm and high rpm windings and that the high rpm windings in my stator are fried but hear's the interesting part HE SAID THE BIKE CAN RUN WITH A JUMPER WIRE BETWEEN THE TWO OUTPUTS UNTIL I GET THE TIME TO PULL THE MOTOR AND CHAGE THE Stator I Just wanted to know if anyone else has hurd or tried this as it's my only transportation but it is still running just not over 5000 rpm any input would be helpful and thankyou in advance Lakelizerd

·
Super Moderator
23,111 Posts
A couple of things. Aren't GLs TI ignition?

And, what you describe is called the white wire fix. What often happens when you do this is the low speed coil, which doesn't produce as much voltage as the high speed anyway, now has its workload doubled and soon also takes a dump leaving the bike a non runner. You can get away with this for 5 minutes or 5 months. Who can say ....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,293 Posts
Your neighbour has probably heard about doing that on a CX500 and assumes that a GL500 has basically the same engine so it will work on the GL too. One of the fundamental differences between the CX and GL is that the CX has Capacitor Discharge Ignition which is powered & triggered by extra coils on the alternator stator and the GL has Transistorized Ignition which is powered by the bike's electric system and the stator only has the basic 3 phase coils for powering the bike's electric system and charging the battery.

In other words, if you have a GL500 it doesn't have the coils to jumper.

There are a number of possible reasons why it won't make power at higher revs. As Phreak suggested, have a look at the air filter first because it is easy to do. If it is dirty or something has decidede it is a good place to live or to store food clean it out (or better yet replace it) and see if that fixes the problem.

Other problems require a bit more technical expertise. As Nolimitz suggested the problem could be in the carbs or in the automatic timing advance (the manual calls it the Spark Advancer). Even though the advancer is on the rear of the engine you can get at it with the engine in the frame. Normally at this point I would tell you to go to the CX Wiki (link in my signature) and download the Factory SHop Manual for your model but there was a major forum update yesterday and the Wiki is down right now. PM me your email address and I'll email it to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone this problem did just start after I sent out the carburetors for rebuilding didn't think it could be the problem because it was a Honda dealer I had do the rebuild but after what everyone is saying i am having second thoughts so if I test the stator and its fine I will take it back to the guy who did the carburetor thanks everyone

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,293 Posts
I can tell you before you test that the problem isn't the stator. Your bike's stator only powers the electric system & charges the battery. The only way a stator problem could cause anything similar to that would be if it wasn't charging the battery and the voltage got very low, and before it got to that point there wouldn't be enough power to run the starter motor.

It sounds like you need to take the carbs back and tell them to try again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone who said the carburetors was bang on the two jet's were backwards the one for going slow had the big number jet and the one for going fast had the low number jet thay switched them and now everything is awesome thanks everyone for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts