Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. Now that my Silverwing is completed and safe for road use, and I've been riding it, I am not liking the bars at all. My first Silverwing had stock bars, and they never bothered me, but it was my first motorcycle, and I was quite a few pounds lighter when I had it. I have played with the position but no matter what I do, my back starts to hurt riding it. Plus, they just feel cramped. I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, so kind of chunky, and that may be part of it. However, I think I'd like more of a standard cruiser handlebar position. I'd also like to not have to replace any cables, as I have already replaced brake hose and clutch cables, if possible. I've done bar swaps on bikes before, so I have that part down. To get ideas and advice, I've been looking at posts about this same thing, but they are older posts and pictures are missing.

So, I was wondering if fellow forum members could share pictures of their bikes with replacement handlebars and what kind of bars they are. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, I like what you did. I don't have access to any equipment to bend them, but your results are exactly what I would like to see on my bike.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw a set of bars for a 1978 CB750F Super Sport that looks like it would be a good set of bars. Does anyone have those on their bikes?

Dan

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
You may not need to bend your replacement bars.I'm just picky about how it feels.
The main thing to watch for, is the rise and width. Anything too high or wide, and you'll need to replace cables, wires and hoses.
Also, I drilled new holes for the controls, so I could adjust the lever locations to my liking.

EJ

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Morning,
Tools I used to straighten the bars was a 2x4, two big C clamps, a strong five foot pipe and my work bench. Clamped the center section of handle bars two my bench with the 2x4 on top of the bars ,(bars handles up) slided the pipe over the bar and pulled down till I was happy with the new angle. Did shorten the ends and drilled new holes for the controls to hang on to and replaced the vibration weights.
IMG_2143.jpg
Sorry this is the best picture i have of the bars on the bike. Hopefully you have the tools or a buddy that has them . Cheers Gerard

·
Super Moderator
13,728 Posts
I've tweaked bars on the bike by sliding a big pipe over the end and pushing if I only needed to move them a small amount. The bars I have on Eccles needed more adjustment so I borrowed a conduit bending tool to adjust them (that marked the m a bit but after 25 years of use on 4 bikes I guess they have held up OK).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts