Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever come up with a close match in an automotive paint or maybe duplicolor for GL500 silver? I have a burgundy fender I would like to bob and use on my bike, so it does not have to be too close.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Now I am very interested in the reply to this question.

I have an '82 GL 500i that used to be silver but the tank, sidecovers and fenders were resprayed a custom-mixed bluish silver-grey by my good friend Norman Johnson about 15 years ago.

We painted the fairing black and the bags as well as the trunk.

What I was going for at the time was a black and silver sort of look but the mixed paint turned-out rather bluish.

It didn't look bad and I rode it over 100,000 miles that way but recently I've been thinking about returning the tank, fenders, and sidecovers to the original silver.

Towards that end I ended-up buying several different manufacturers paint and clear-coat and painting several "coupons" which I could hold beside the bike and compare the colors.

IIRC the Duplicolor engine enamel called "cast aluminum" with a clear-coat over it came the closest to a match.

I haven't resprayed it yet, tho, because of other more pressing, wage-paying projects.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Several choices in Duplicolor. Bumper Chrome, Radiator aluminum, just go through their website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.