Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much work is involved in replacing the Gl500 seat with say a classic looking seat like a double up Triumph Bonneville seat? Triumph sells a seat that can convert to a single with a cowl or double rider with just two snaps on either side. I love the idea of this as my wife wont like it too much if I only have a single seat. I also will be making a cafe racer out of this bike and will be removing any unwanted metal that may stick out in the back. BTW its a 81 GL500.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The bad thing about the GL500s is that the damn frame is so wide were the seat mounts, its been tough for me to find one that will look good without having to build a new seat pan.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Does anyone know how much work is involved in replacing the Gl500 seat with say a classic looking seat like a double up Triumph Bonneville seat? Triumph sells a seat that can convert to a single with a cowl or double rider with just two snaps on either side. I love the idea of this as my wife wont like it too much if I only have a single seat. I also will be making a cafe racer out of this bike and will be removing any unwanted metal that may stick out in the back. BTW its a 81 GL500.

Not sure if this will work on the seat you are thinking about.

This solo GL1000 "Darkwing" Hotwings Glass seat pan was mounted on a 1980 CX500D.

Used 1 1/2"X1/8" steel strap bent in a vice. The fuel tank can be removed without removing the seat pan. This installation is sturdy for me riding solo @ 225lbs & did not require welding, but would probably need wider strap material if used for a two up application. The seat pad is attached to the seat pan with thin velcro strips and works good for solo application. The last photo shows where the CX frame was cut behind the rear cross member:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.