Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Y'all.

I have a 1981 GL500. I've been able to remove the rear seat in the past without any trouble. Recently I tried the usual method, but one of the helmet lock handles seemed to travel much further forward than usual, almost like a spring had broken. Also, no audible "ping" sound like in the past when the rear seat latch is tripped. Now I can't get the latch to disengage and the one helmet lever moves all the way forward without any noticeable connection to the rear seat latch.

I did find some reference in this forum about using a screwdriver to trip the latch, but no real guidance on just how that works. Any clarification (photos would be great!) on how to do that will be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
By the way, are you pressing down on the seat as you try to release the catch? Doing this can help.
On my bike there was space between the seat and the cowl so that I could get to the latch with a long screwdriver. I don't have any pictures of that however. I didn't discover the drilled holes until after I had the seat off, using the long screwdriver in from the back of the seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.