Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a retainer clip or any such device to hold the reservoir on an '81 GL500 SilverWing front brake master cylinder? I assume the "O" ring is the only seal, too? After removing the two screws, it will turn around about a quarter turn. I thought I saw someone pry it off of another one once, but would like to be sure it isn't being held by a clip or something. It is the original rectangular reservoir and mc with an offset perch. Thanks in advance for any answer forthcoming.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
The O-ring is the only thing holding it in after the screws are out. I use two wide bladed screwdrivers to pry it up. It is pretty stiff getting it out, but they will come loose. Just put the screwdrivers in under the reservoir and pry up on the handles end so the tips of the screwdrivers rest against the aluminum body instead of into the plastic. Pretty unnerving the first time you do it, but it works.

And WELCOME to the forum. I guess your working on a GL500. Why don't you go back and add that into your signature line so we all know what you have. It always helps. And thank you for adding your location.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The O-ring is the only thing holding it in after the screws are out. I use two wide bladed screwdrivers to pry it up. It is pretty stiff getting it out, but they will come loose. Just put the screwdrivers in under the reservoir and pry up on the handles end so the tips of the screwdrivers rest against the aluminum body instead of into the plastic. Pretty unnerving the first time you do it, but it works.

And WELCOME to the forum. I guess your working on a GL500. Why don't you go back and add that into your signature line so we all know what you have. It always helps. And thank you for adding your location.

I was pretty sure that it didn't have any retainers, but needed some expert advice. Thanks! I bought an '81 SilverWing (naked) the first week of December and have been piddling with it when the weather would allow. IT runs and drives great, but has a few little quirks that need attention. I have acquired a big box of parts awaiting installation (mirrors, tach cable, front stoplight switch, etc.) and some needed items such as a front tire. The bike has some cosmetic flaws, but good painting weather will allow that to be corrected. 18,000 miles is showing and that seems to be correct.

The brake problem seems to be the fluid orifices in the master cylinder - I punched one out with the reservoir on, but the other, the critical one, will have to uncovered by the removal of the reservoir.

I thought I had all my settings on my profile page correct to include a photo of my ride. Old men and computers sometime have problems, they don't understand us! Thanks again so much for the info, and happy trails!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was pretty sure that it didn't have any retainers, but needed some expert advice. Thanks! I bought an '81 SilverWing (naked) the first week of December and have been piddling with it when the weather would allow. IT runs and drives great, but has a few little quirks that need attention. I have acquired a big box of parts awaiting installation (mirrors, tach cable, front stoplight switch, etc.) and some needed items such as a front tire. The bike has some cosmetic flaws, but good painting weather will allow that to be corrected. 18,000 miles is showing and that seems to be correct.

The brake problem seems to be the fluid orifices in the master cylinder - I punched one out with the reservoir on, but the other, the critical one, will have to uncovered by the removal of the reservoir.

I thought I had all my settings on my profile page correct to include a photo of my ride. Old men and computers sometime have problems, they don't understand us! Thanks again so much for the info, and happy trails!
I also acquired an '81 GL 500 Silverwing (Interstate) the first week of December, 2010. Coincidence or what? 2,653 miles! First job was to sort out the front brakes as well. Removed the MC reservoir (brute force) as described in the previous post, cleaned everything out, opened the plugged vent hole, installed MC overhaul kit, rebuilt the calipers and installed new Teflon/SS brake lines from JDA Enterprises. Brakes are now superb! Waiting on mechanical seal (water pump) to get her back on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also acquired an '81 GL 500 Silverwing (Interstate) the first week of December, 2010. Coincidence or what? 2,653 miles! First job was to sort out the front brakes as well. Removed the MC reservoir (brute force) as described in the previous post, cleaned everything out, opened the plugged vent hole, installed MC overhaul kit, rebuilt the calipers and installed new Teflon/SS brake lines from JDA Enterprises. Brakes are now superb! Waiting on mechanical seal (water pump) to get her back on the road.

I will get a new brake hose/line in a few days, also. Well, congrats on your "new" ride. I could have gotten a newer bike, a Shadow, but wanted to this old fixer-upper. I had a CX500 and a Nighthawk back in the '80s and loved 'em. They were tough old bikes. When you take one of these old classics to a meet, there will always be some folks come by and say "had one of those once" and look it over good.

Hope you get the water pump repairs done soon. We have had some nice riding weather here in Tennessee, but the next week is not looking good...snow possibility, again.

Regards, Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts