Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As im sure this has been posted before- apologies in advance. Just trying to get my 81 gl500 to run better and im pretty sure ive got some air leaks. id love to have one less thing to worry about. cx500 boots have aftermarket substitutes but for some reason gl500 boots are ridiculously hard to find. i really dont want to heat shrink tube or gasket seal these old shitty i take boots. i would love to buy some gl500 boots.

·
Super Moderator
14,779 Posts
Unfortunately, they made a lot less GL500s than CX500s so model specific parts for the CX are often more readily available. We keep hearing rumours that there will be manifolds for the GL soon but they never seem to become available.

• If the air leaks are between the metal parts of the manifolds and the heads, replace the o-rings.
  • If the leaks are where the manifolds connect to the carbs soften the rubber with a heat gun or by immersing them in hot water right before you tighten the clamps (I recommend replacing the original clamps with Norma Torro 9mm wide 40-60mm diameter stainless worm clamps).
  • If the rubber is cracked they probably won't leak unless you can see light through the crack but in any case the cracks can be filled with Shoe Goo to seal them and keep them from spreading until you can find better ones.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a pair of GL500 intake boots in good condition, no cracks. One's missing an o-ring but I'd recommend new ones regardless. PM me and we'll chat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts