Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Last Sunday I started up my trusty Silverwing after not having ridden it for over 3 months, and all was OK. However, on Monday morning I noticed that the headlamp wasn't working, although it was definitely working the day before.

I've had the headlight go out a few times since I bought the bike over 20 years ago, and the problem has always been the multipin connector that carries the blue/white wire to the high beam/ low beam switch on the left side handle, and a squirt of contact spray cured the problem each time.

This time I found that although there is a steady 12 volts to the blue/white wire before and after the multipin connector, but only under no load conditions. As soon as I plug the headlamp bulb into its socket, the voltage in the blue/white wire immediately drops to 0 volts.

This surely suggest a poor or corroded connection somewhere, but I just cannot find it. The fault is definitely after the fuse-box, as I get a steady 12 volts across all the fuses, even when the blue/white wire shows 0 volts.
However, after checking and cleaning all the connectors I can find, the problem remains.
I temporarily connected a piece of scrap wire from the live terminal of the battery to the blue/white wire, and the headlamp works perfectly this way.

My GL is the US model, and the wiring diagram shows that the blue/white wire is connected directly to the fuse-box, but for some strange reason this is not the case on my bike, so it must change colour somewhere I cannot see!

Has anybody else experienced this problem before, or can somebody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
21,618 Posts
That wire has a fuse in the handlebar fuse box. This is likely where the wire changes colour. My experience is with early CXs, but these leave the light switch in one colour and change to the blue/white at the fuse.

Could be a bad fuse or dirty connection there?

If nothing else it's another place to test for power.

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
Have you checked the ground connections?

Reactions: obo515 and CXPHREAK

·
Registered
94 Posts
I second Randall's hunch. I had this happen on my GL a few years ago, it was an intermittent problem until all of a sudden it wasn't and I had no head lights on my ride home after work one day. After disassembling and cleaning the starter button assembly, I've had no further problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to sort the problem today with help from this forum. The problem was as per Randall's post above; in the start button!
After removing the right side controls from the handlebars, a quick squirt of contact spray inside the start button sorted the problem.

Your help is much appreciated as always!

Until next time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts