Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some parts which are not interchangeable but as far as the engine, aren't they both the same? Specifically the stator and regulator? I am assuming they are the same. Thanks

Ike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Board, correct me if I'm wrong.....please. The engines are the same but you can't interchange them.

As I see it, looking at a stripped down set of 1981 bikes next to each other, the CX has an extra motor mount right behind the cylinders on top of the rear engine case while the GL does not.

I concluded that this because the CX has a single tube backbone frame and they are using the engine as a stressed frame member. The GL on the other hand has three tubes more in a cage or ladder fashion for the frame under the seat and does not need the extra motor mount for support.

I would imagine you could put a CX engine into a GL but not the other way round. OK, you could go the other way until the frame broke under the seat.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Board, correct me if I'm wrong.....please. The engines are the same but you can't interchange them.

As I see it, looking at a stripped down set of 1981 bikes next to each other, the CX has an extra motor mount right behind the cylinders on top of the rear engine case while the GL does not.

I concluded that this because the CX has a single tube backbone frame and they are using the engine as a stressed frame member. The GL on the other hand has three tubes more in a cage or ladder fashion for the frame under the seat and does not need the extra motor mount for support.

I would imagine you could put a CX engine into a GL but not the other way round. OK, you could go the other way until the frame broke under the seat.

The question was not about the CX and GL, but the naked GL and the Interstate.

The swap to a CX from a GL can be done, IIRC either Shep or Reg (maybe both) may have done it.

·
Super Moderator
15,408 Posts

In the later models it was realized that having all those engine mounts was overkill and they eliminated the middle hanger mount and relocated the coils in it's place.

I believe that the 1982 cx has a modified front engine hanger that if you wanted to use a gl engine in one of the earlier cx's all you would need is that. It may in fact be even more simple.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know there are some parts which are not interchangeable but as far as the engine, aren't they both the same? Specifically the stator and regulator? I am assuming they are the same. Thanks

Ike

Main differences, outside the obvious fairing and headlight set up. Standard has a honda badge on the tank. Tail light extenders to clear the bags. Dual disc front wheel on the 'i', and accompanying dual calipers and master. radiator shroud on the standard. That's pretty much it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts