Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was trying to change the fork seals on my 1982 GL500, and on the right side the lower allen bolt will not come out. It just turns on it own. Nothing on the ouside turns? Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to start looking for a new leg?

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Was trying to change the fork seals on my 1982 GL500, and on the right side the lower allen bolt will not come out. It just turns on it own. Nothing on the ouside turns? Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to start looking for a new leg?

Thanks Ken
hi Ken,can you spend a few minutes to update your signiture line,include your bikes details and your location.

your problem is inside the leg,and it happens a lot.get a wooden broom handle for example,taper down the end and feed it down your fork,from the top,keep the tension pressed down hard to hold the nut inside[its not really a nut
]

you might have to use an airwrench with a 6mm allan key fitted.its quick,and it can vibrate the two apart.

·
Super Moderator
23,215 Posts
I take it you have already removed the spring?

Sometimes it's easier to crack the allen bolt before removing the springs as the springs hold the damper rod [which is now revolving with the allen bolt] still.

Try holding the damper rod still by inserting a piece of half inch timber dowel down the shock and into the damper. This has always worked for me.

Otherwise, put the spring and cap back in place and try again.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

are the forks still on the bike,and have you pull the tops [springs etc] out

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
And if that doesn't work get a drill and bit just big enough to drill into the head of the bolt down to just below the head. That should cut the head off without damaging the forks so you can pull the lower off. And just replace the bolt you drilled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts