Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets start with it's a 1982 GL500 that I bought a few years ago. It needed love of course, I had to replace the frame (due to rust issues). Replaced it with a 1981 frame. Tank was shot, replaced with a very nice one, painted the fenders, trunk, tank and side covers with epoxy primer, base coat, (dark metallic green) and clear coated with 2 part clear. Came out very nice if I do say so myself. While the motor was out, replaced the timing chain with one from David Spears, did the water pump seal. Checked the stator, checks good. Replaced the fork seals and refilled. Rebuilt the front brakes, changed the fluid in diff. Then went to the carbs, cleaned and replaced seals, accelerator pumps and any o-rings. The motor spins easily and has good compression.
Now the hard part, I have never had this running or even tried as I didn't want it to sit around full of gas for any length of time, but have faith that my work is good and it will run. I hooked up a temp power source and tried all the lights and indicators, they all worked. Starter turns motor over.
I can see that I am not going to do anything else and it's taking up space and wife is hot for me to unload it.
It does not have a title but in Maine that is not an issue for vehicles over 15 years old. I have the old Vin number from the original frame, the bill of sale for replacement frame.
Just want it to go to a good home and do not wish to part it out. Plus it has a few extra parts like a radiator, seat, engine protectors, the seat to replace the trunk. It has 17992 miles on the engine.
Looking to get $600-700 which seems fair enough just in parts.

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Tachometer Light

Reactions: jbcurt00

·
Registered
375 Posts
A suggestion ... if you really don't want to put gas in the tank, set up an aux tank and make sure it runs. That $10 / 30 minute investment will probably raise the value of the bike by $300-$500 and will expand your potential buyer pool beyond those of us looking for projects.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A suggestion ... if you really don't want to put gas in the tank, set up an aux tank and make sure it runs. That $10 / 30 minute investment will probably raise the value of the bike by $300-$500 and will expand your potential buyer pool beyond those of us looking for projects.
That is a capital idea. I will give that a go soon and will post the results right after. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts