Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum , so thanks.
I have a 1982 GL500 that I removed the fairing and have three wires I am not sure where to connect. I'm not putting the fairing back on and cut the plug from fairing to the bike. The bike wont start now , or click. The three wires are a red , whitish green with a black strip and brown with white strip. these three wires go into a black connecter (Plug) on bike. Try

Attachments

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
You didn't need to cut any wires. There's a subharness that unplugs from the left inside of the fairing, along with a ground wire that needs to be detached.
Inside the wiring box in front of the steering yoke, this subharness is plugged in where the headlight and indicators otherwise would be.
I don't know what you might have cut that would now prevent it starting. I suggest you download the appropriate Factory Service Manual from the forum wiki and study the wiring diagram to figure out what you're missing.
It's best to understand what the wires do before cutting them, but that's water under the bridge.

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
I really wish people would look at the manual before they start working on things. It makes it soooo much easier. And in this case it would have made it easier to sell the fairing.

But as the man said, it's too late now so open up that wiring box and unplug the remains of the sub harness.

The red wire in the sub harness is an always live wire (for radio memory, clock &c). Your symptoms indicate no power so I suspect that when you cut the sub harness the tool shorted the live wire to ground and blew the main fuse (hopefully that's all the damage you caused). The main fuse is under a cover on the side of the starter solenoid, which is under the left side cover, next to the battery.
The original "dogbone" type fuse is still available from Honda dealers but most of us recommend replacing it with an inline fuse holder and a modern blade type fuse that you can get anywhere if it fails when you are away from home.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
And since you are going to be working on the electrical system get the appropriate coloured wiring drawing and the Honda Wire Color Codes chart too while you are in the Wiki.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i started working on a recently acquired 500gl 1982 and when i took the fairing off i found the bike would not start. what appears to be the issue is that tip over sensor, balance angle sensor, whatever you call it is apparently located in the fairing. it does not show on the wiring diagram that i have and i'm trying to figure out what color wires coming out of the 9-pin connector on the petcock side of the gas tank can be used to bypass the sensor.

does anyone know right off hand? i would have though a google search would return this but am having trouble finding it, or even exactly where inside the fairing it is located.

just joined so still searching the archives if this is a repeat question (on the angle sensor location and wires).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i started working on a recently acquired 500gl 1982 and when i took the fairing off i found the bike would not start. what appears to be the issue is that tip over sensor, balance angle sensor, whatever you call it is apparently located in the fairing. it does not show on the wiring diagram that i have and i'm trying to figure out what color wires coming out of the 9-pin connector on the petcock side of the gas tank can be used to bypass the sensor.

does anyone know right off hand? i would have though a google search would return this but am having trouble finding it, or even exactly where inside the fairing it is located.

just joined so still searching the archives if this is a repeat question (on the angle sensor location and wires).
This must be a mythical sensor. I don't think my 1982 GL500I has one. You should look at the Factory Service Manual a little and things might become a little clearer to you. If you do happen to find this sensor exists, please take a picture of it to share. Okay, just joking about that. What testing have you done to come to this conclusion that it is a sensor that your bike doesn't have?

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
It is possible that a previous owner added something (4 decades is a long time) but none of the CX/GL500/650 family of bikes (or the GL1100 that came with the same fairing either for that matter) had any sensor in the fairing that would prevent the bike from running when originally sold. In fact, the only sensors in the fairing are the ones for the thermometer and altimeter in the ones with the optional instrument cluster.

BTW: please see my "Welcome to the forum" comments in post #4 of this thread .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts