Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an 81 GL500 project bike recently with a seized engine. Got the bike torn down and most of the engine torn apart. After cleaning the cylinder walls I was able to get her to turn over and I didnt notice any pitting in the cylinders walls. Bottom end of the engine looks good and internals all very clean. Am planning to just do a quick hone in the cylinders and rering the pistons. I pulled the oil pump today and managed to get one piston removed, but was not able to remove the other yet due to that damn clutch hub. Are there any tricks to removing that clutch hub nut, or is the special socket required? Where could I buy that socket if its absolutely needed? Anyone know a good place that I can pick up new piston rings and gasket sets?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive also considered trying to make a socket for it Shep. Was thinking of taking an old socket and cutting the walls to make the four pins to engage the nut. Shep, ive been reading that youve got alot of experience building these cx engines. You know of any good websites that I can order engine parts from? Need to get gasket kits and piston rings.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Ive also considered trying to make a socket for it Shep. Was thinking of taking an old socket and cutting the walls to make the four pins to engage the nut. Shep, ive been reading that youve got alot of experience building these cx engines. You know of any good websites that I can order engine parts from? Need to get gasket kits and piston rings.

For rings see this thread in the buying and selling forum, I would check to be sure they will fit before you buy though,,

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/43-fs-nos-cx-and-gl500-piston-rings/

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

Yes that's what several people have done and I made a tool using some heavy pipe but can never find it when I need it<grin>

You need to add your location and model and year either under your Avatar or in your signature as this will affect the answers especially for parts as I'm in the UK so know most of my sources but do not know the best places for Northern America.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts