Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with a spare motor from a gl500 year unknown complete with carbs. It has 20,000 miles on it and he will give it to me for $100.00. My question is : Are the engine mounting points the same on both bikes, will it bolt right up? I know the ignition wiring / components may be different. It,s a very clean looking motor and would be a great spare to have around. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Grab the engine for a rainy day. The rear points should be the same but when it comes time to use that engine swap the guts in there rear and things will be good.

The front engine bracket might need some modding but it's a two piece over the cx bracket that's a 1 piece.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grab the engine for a rainy day. The rear points should be the same but when it comes time to use that engine swap the guts in there rear and things will be good.

The front engine bracket might need some modding but it's a two piece over the cx bracket that's a 1 piece.

Hey Stitch , what did you mean buy "swap the guts in the rear and things will be good"?

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
With the cdi ignition that you currently have you will have to remove/exchange the rear cover, stator, and rotor from the gl engine to convert it to cx friendly.

·
Registered
835 Posts
What BS is trying to say is - the engines shape and size are good, but the GL motor is a "TI" Transistorized Ignition, while the '79 CX engine is "CDI" capacitance discharge ignition, both fruit, just apples and oranges, and they don't play well with each other. You will need to decide if you want to upgrade to the GL TI or swap the rear casings, and use your old CDI system. If you have access to the Wire harness, and all things ignition (coils, TI, etc etc,) I'd say consider the upgrade to the TI.

The GL engine cooling system is set up a bit different as well. the hose from the top of the radiator comes directly back from the middle while the CX it's off to the side because there is a frame part - right in the middle. If it comes with a thermostat housing, you'll need to remove it, and use the one from the CX.

The mounting bolts on the rear casing, as Stitch said, are the same on the GL and the CX, however....You're CX - if I remember uses an 'engine hanger' bracket that isn't there on the GL motor, however, I think the mounting places are still there.

Finally, you will need the carb intake boots from your CX, (boots between carbs and cylinder heads) as the GL's carbs are closer together, and as such the boots will be (too long) different lengths then what you will need.

Aside from the electrics, it is an easy swap. Have fun with it... if/when you do it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stitch and cxsarnia. No plans on using the motor yet but it sounds like it's worth having. I would probably upgrade to the TI ignition if it,s easily doable. Are the TI stators more reliable? He also has a complete

500gl that has 36000 miles on it that needs a stator and is in rough condition for $300 if anyone in the S.F. bay area is interested.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts