Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently started having a problem with my 1982 GL500. It just started a few days ago when I was cruising down the road at about 35mph and the engine died on me. As far as I can tell there isn't any obvious problem with the overall electrical system, the headlights don't go out or even dim. The oil light did come on as well, but I've read that this is a normal. As soon as I noticed that the engine had died I just hit the ignition and gave a little twist of the throttle, it fired right back up and I rode home with no problems.

A couple of hours later I tried to go for another ride and the engine fired up but its rpm's shot right back down (with 1/2 to 3/4 choke) and it cut out. When I tried to fire it back up it cranked but wouldn't turn over. I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and it started up, the rpm's struggled a bit but I just twisted the throttle a little while it warmed up. I drove about 10 blocks and the engine died again halfway into pulling up a driveway. This time it wouldn't fire back up. I sat for about 20 minutes trying to start it on and off before it worked. I gave up on running errands and just brought it home.

Since then I've ridden it a couple of times (hoping that the problem would just go away on its own - a man can dream) and noticed a few things:
  • If I hit the ignition and twist the throttle immediately (with the choke on) I'll be able to keep the rpm's high enough for it to not cut out.
  • If the engine does cut out when I first try to start it, then it won't get any combustion again unless I let it sit for a bit (at least a few minutes).
  • When the engine cuts out and won't fire up again, sometimes I can't shift into 2nd gear (it stops at neutral), but sometimes I'll be able to shift it up into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, but not 5th that I've noticed (This is only after the engine cuts out and it's sitting, it shifts fine normally). I'm not sure if this is relevant to the problem but I wanted to include everything I can think of.
  • Eventually, if I time the ignition and twisting of the throttle right, I can get the engine to fire up. I'll usually have to nurture it for a bit by gently twisting the throttle until the rpm's pick up enough to sustain itself. However, once I do get it running (even with the engine warmed up) it'll still crap out on me randomly as I ride. I can usually just hit the ignition again and keep going but it happens pretty often - every few minutes or so.

I've also noticed the exhaust popping every now and then since this started happening, although I'm assuming this is a symptom of everything else rather than a cause.

Also, one more thing. I noticed a week or two before this started happening that the choke doesn't hold itself in place very well. I don't think it's always been this way, but lately it feels as if it doesn't consistently slide in/out. Sometimes it feels like there's more resistance and sometimes less. It'll also push itself back in from the vibrations of the bike after a few minutes.

Anything you guys can give me that might help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time on the forums so I'm not sure if I went about this right.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Might be dirty carburators. Do you have a fuel filter installed in the petrol tube running between the petcock and the left carburator ?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Start with a thorough cleaning of the carbs to eliminate that as the problem.
Then is it persists it is time to get your meter out and start testing the stator.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

GL500's have the TI ignition so the stator is only used to charge the battery. The stator is not the culprit. Edit: This is true for US and most countries' bikes I am aware of. Where are you located?

The problem could be a number of things. My hunch is trash in the carbs. But check the main fuse as symptoms can be similar and this is a common problem.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
As indicated above, there are many things that could cause this, so start elliminating them and you should eventually solve it;

1 - Dirty carbs. Unless you have actually cleaned the carbs yourself using a proper guide (like Larry's book) then they are probably not clean
2 - Once clean, sync the carbs on the bike with the engine running, this makes a BIG difference
3 - Make sure your fuel cap isnt plugged, as if it doesnt vent it will cause this problem (engine die, then after a bit its OK)
4 - check fuel delivery system (fuel filter, petcock fuel flow)

All of these check are in the fuel delivery area, and the first thing to check and/or resolve. It doesnt sound electrical, so working on the fuel part is the logical starting point. Once the fuel area is ok, you can check the spark generation (plugs, coils etc), but since these seems to happen in "cycles" I would wager its fuel related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just checked and there's no fuel filter installed in the petrol tube. The carbs were just cleaned (or so I was told) when I got her back from the shop in December, so if there's trash in them already then I definitely need to look into buying one.

I'm running a manual petcock.

And I updated my profile, I'm in the US so I guess the stator wouldn't be the problem for me.

Thanks for the checklist stern-69. I feel like it's always one thing or another that needs done, but I guess this is half the fun of an older bike.

I'll check the main fuse and clean out the carbs when I get back from class.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The manual petcock still has a screen inside the tank. Make sure that is not cloged. I had that with my bike.
:D
Welcome to the forum !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everybody, just an update:

I think you all are right, the more I think about it the more I think it's the carbs. I ended up buying Larry's book, I'm waiting for it to come in the mail now. I've got a busy schedule for the next week or so, so it may be a bit until a can tinker around with it.

I'll make sure to keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Drain both carbs into a transparent container and check for water in the bottom of the container. There is a slotted drain screw on each carb. An accumulation of water in the float bowls can cause the problems you are experiencing. Feeling lucky?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check the air filters. Had a similar problem and that was the problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts