Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been having an issue with a GL500 I am attempting to get road worthy again after 8yrs of sitting. To date I have done minor repairs and cleaning to get it running again including cleaning the carbs, replacing the battery, releasing the frozen breaks so on, and so on...

Right now the bike is running, and will idle and rev/redline in neutral without any problem for a long duration of time. However, when I try to engage 1st to drive, it bogs down and dies despite having decent throttle applied. After this happens, the bike will have a difficult time restarting.

If the bike has been warming up and or rev'd in neutral and I kill it, there is no problem getting it to fire up. One touch of the ignition and it roars to life.

Ideas my friends? I have not changed the oil yet, and didn't know if maybe the trans would be affected by that.

If I find the time later, I will try to post a video of the problem.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Indy sounds to me like you have stuck clutch . I've heard of a couple ways of addressing this problem : the first one is kind of brutish put bike against wall or other solid object put in gear and try to do burnout ( like when the Harley guys destroy tires for fun) clutch plates on these bikes are wet and can get gummed up lack of use . If you do this stop before you blow tire up. The second way is to carfully disassemble and clean it all up and inspect / replace reassemble hope this helps:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe, while I am willing to try this I would like to be sure first... The bike will propel forward for a dozen yards or so then die. When I spoke with the former owner that gave me the bike, he says that was the issue that it was having that caused him to stop riding it years ago. He states that once you gun it past first and are at a higher RPM and a higher gear it rides fine. He says the problem is only existent in first. Do you think that profile would still point to a stuck clutch?

Bike is an '81 GL500i by the way...

·
Registered
200 Posts
J Do you think that profile would still point to a stuck clutch?
When you start it up, then pull in the clutch and press the shifter down into first, does it go ok or does it stall at that point? With a stuck clutch, pulling the clutch in has no effect. It will shift into 1st with a lurch and a stall despite having the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes If your apprehensive about the brute method. Drain your oil and pull clutch cover give it a good visual inspection it may have chunks or smoked discs / gummed . up give it a try you can only learn by taking stuff apart :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you start it up, then pull in the clutch and press the shifter down into first, does it go ok or does it stall at that point? With a stuck clutch, pulling the clutch in has no effect. It will shift into 1st with a lurch and a stall despite having the clutch pulled in.
No, it will go into gear with no problem. When I release the clutch, it will move forward a bit, and then kind of bog down and die. Ideas?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Did or can you take off in second gear and still keep going???

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue to me , more than a mechanical issue. How did you clean the carbs ? Are they truly clean - sounds like the fuel is not getting through the carbs under load,

·
Registered
839 Posts
No, I have not tried that... I don't have much bike experience and didn't want to lay it out:p

Thanks!
The bike takes off easy if you control the clutch a bit longer. I have forgotten and have drove off a number of times in second gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a fuel issue to me , more than a mechanical issue. How did you clean the carbs ? Are they truly clean - sounds like the fuel is not getting through the carbs under load,
Well, I pulled them and cleaned them a side at a time with carb cleaner. I started with the jet side, and removed them and left them to soak in carb cleaner and sprayed/cleaned the chamber on the jet side. Then I moved to the slides, dissembled and cleaned being sure to not allow carb cleaner anywhere near non-metal parts. Reassimbled, and reattached.

Do you think it might be the fuel lines even if it will allow me to redline in neutral?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
From the way I interpret the overall problem description it does not sound like an ignition problem. But a poor wire harness ground connection in front of the ignition coil could cause the bike to run poorly or die when not in neutral. See here.

Also check the main fuse.

Additional ignition troubleshooting information can be found here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the way I interpret the overall problem description it does not sound like an ignition problem. But a poor wire harness ground connection in front of the ignition coil could cause the bike to run poorly or die when not in neutral. See here.

Also check the main fuse.

Additional ignition troubleshooting information can be found here.

Wow, GREAT resources for me to look into! Thanks so much! These will be super helpful now and in the future!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts