Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals

Brand new here, and not very skilled with forums in general but I have a few questions about customization to my bike as well as repairs

First thing I guess I should say is that this is my first bike ever.
The main thing with the bike is that it won't rev over 6k
It runs like a beast up to 6k but then it no longer fires on the left cylinder
I didn't figure that these bikes have a timing system that even remotely resembles a car, so I need help here XD
Now, leading up to this the only thing I've done to the engine is played with the air filter, it had the stock bulky air box on it
and I removed it and replaced it with a pod filter (it's in there pretty ghetto, but the stock air box is still around)
before the change it was perfectly fine, but I don't understand how it would make it miss like that.
I was thinking that it might be an ignition coil but once again this is my first bike and I'm by far not a bike pro.
Any help is always welcome ^_^

Now, I have a bunch of customization questions but this is more important.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It appears that you have eliminated the H-box too, did you rejet larger to allow for the freer flow of air?
You need to go up at least two sizes on all the jets to get good performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually got the bike without the h-box, and I have a parts bike that has one, but I can't get the original exhaust out of.
I would love to use the h-box because it baffles the exhaust a little and it helps with back pressure, I just can't break that dang thing free.

I have not increased the jetting at all, and I'm really new to bikes, I don't know how to jet out the carbs. I also haven't tried looking so don't yell at me yet >.<

The thing that bugs me is that it runs pretty great on the right cylinder but the left just runs horrid.

Thank you for the input, and just for a starting point, do you or does anyone know the stock jet on the gl500 carbs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crappy exhaust was like that when I got it, I have full intentions of running a legitimate exhaust, but I am a little short on funds and want it to ride more than anything.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
78/118 is stock.
Get yourself a pair of Sportster mufflers [can be had for cheap or even free at that Hardly dealers] and that will quiet it down a lot.
90/120 would be a good starting point and you can buy jet kits fairly inexpensively online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not finding any 90/120 kits, but I can buy a few seeing as they are an average cost of $15 a kit, so not a big problem.
I'll check with the local dealer and see if I can score some mufflers.

I think a little more back pressure and a slight jet would be perfect.

I also switched to two smaller filters

They're the crappy style, but I'm going to get a couple couplers to fit them better and make them slightly more visible.
I bought a lithium battery when I switched to the new filters so I have to find a good mounting location.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, next question I have is, how does the bike hook up to a speedometer? I don't see a place where a speed sensor would hook up. I'm pretty confused about this.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Front wheel, left hand side, speedometer drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts