Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. On G-Loria, the radio blew a fuse on her maiden voyage home from Larry's, and I fixed that. I'm planning on getting new speakers, as the originals are pretty wimpy.

I'd also like to know what kind of options I might have to bumping the output from the radio amp, and if I can get a small amplifier to boost the level a bit. I don't want to blast my neighbors out, just be able to hear a bit clearer at road speed. I realize with a full helmet (modular) and the road/wind noise, the stock set up just can't overcome it. Plus, I have terrible tinnitus and hearing in general, so the extra volume would be nice.

I would think it wouldn't be difficult, but wanted some opinions. TIA.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Joel,

If you have a hondaline clarion radio system, you can put 5 pin din headset on it and hear the music without disturbing the neighbors. Heck, the missus can even let you know what she want without yelling in the wind, although that may not be of interest to some.

If you have type 1 system, you may need to install a cutoff switch to avoid feedback.

You can get some acceptable ones for around $80 each.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for making me look up 5 pin din, John.
I'm not a two up rider at the moment, and honestly, I'm not ready to do a helmet speaker system. Perhaps down the road. So, I'm looking at the other option.

*edited to add I have no idea which model Clarion it is. I'll have to ask Larry*

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
168 Posts
From your photo albun I see that it is a type 1 radio. You may have found a spare 5 pin connector in the left side of the fairing or coming out the wire harness hole.

If you use the radio one up, you can use only one headset and you will not need any cut-off switch you simply do not turn the intercom on. You will hear the sound a lot better particularly when you close the cover on the modular helmet. I can send you an old set of mine for $35 shipping included.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm not sure I understand. Are you offering a helmet speaker set? I have a Nolan, not sure which model. I'm not really up to the task yet to go to that. I was more interested in upping what I get from the fairing sound at freeway speeds. I have only peeked inside that left side pouch when I looked for the fuse, so maybe I'll check to see if I have that 5 pin you speak of next time.

I was wondering more about an amp to add oomph, and better speakers.

Thanks for the information though, that's good to know.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, I was offering a headset. It is easily installed with velcro stickers and a clamp to the bottom side of the helmet.

Don't expect much improvement from louder speakers. At speed, the wind is very hard to suppress. All you will get is stares from the passer bys or glares from the neighbors when you drive home with the sound ablazing.

The headset connector you may be looking for is a black female connector. One is plugged in the amplifier in the fairing. One is free for a headset.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't want to steal the post here, but I do have a question.

If one side of the amp is dead on the type 1 system, (mine is), will the 5 pin headphones still work or will one side be dead also??

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by one side dead.

The type I Clarion is comprised of 2 modules. The tuner is located under the left glove box and is attached to the removable faceplate indicator. It also has 2 low level input/outputs through 5 pin connectors that can be used directly with headsets. Alternatively, and this is probably the way most units are set up, you can plug one of those headset connectors into a small clarion amplifier and drive the speakers.

I have a NOS amp if you need one, but to answer your question, you can use a headset without the amp operational if that is where the one side has failed. In fact to avoid feedback when using the intercom function, I cut the power to the amp.

Alternatively, it could be the feed from the tuner that has lost one side and then it will also (not?) show up on the headsets.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks John,

I am going to have to tear into it more and verify my problem. Appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, an amp.

Wanna talk turkey?

·
Registered
223 Posts
While I don't want to kill any deal here, I'm a bit confused. If you have speakers, you should have an amp already installed. I don't think it is possible to drive speakers with the output from the 5 pin DIN connector but maybe it is, hence the low volume. I only need to put mine at 1/4 volume to be load enough to hear.

To see if you have an amp, look slightly to the right and down from the headlight adjusting knob. The amp is installed inside the fairing but the two attaching nuts are visible to the driver.

For a manual on the installation of Type 1 Clarion system, go here and look under GL1100 section for Clarion Type I Radio Installation Manual.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Greg, I'll take a look and see if I notice those mounts. And I'll take take a peek at that link too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you considered getting a set of home stereo speakers and just Duct taping them to your helmet? Just a thought......

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really dragged my feet on this, but the other day had an opportunity. Not because I was looking for it though. My right front running light had gone out, even though the turn signal worked. So I did my first "surgery" on G-Loria to replace the bulb.

Learned a few things about the structure of the fairing and such.. I'll forgo the details of fetching loose parts in the bottom of the fairing for another time.

I do have an amp on the right side. It's late, but does anyone know what the specs are for it, output wise? And could an aftermarket be used to drive a better speaker in the stock speaker pods?

Thanks.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
409 Posts
joel,

simple answer is yes. What you ned to find out is th eoutput watts of the amp you have and then upgrade from there to a gl100? setup(maybe there a bigger amp?)

or maybe your speakers are stuffed and you could simply install 4 ohm speakers (if the existing ones are 8 ohm) and then you will increase your output volume.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Speakers are already 4 ohm.

Fuse on amplifier is a 4 amp so it is probably a 20-30 watt amp.

Thse amps are the same as on the GL1100 as it is the same fairing.

Fuse on type 2 Clarion system amp is 5 amps so maybe a little more power but same speakers.

Quality of amplification is not great as I cannot run the system at full volume because of the distortion.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to know on the 4 ohm speakers John, thanks. So, finding a heftier set of 4 ohm speakers and a beefier amp and I should be in like flint, using a proper fuse. I had to replace the original fuse with a spare from the fork pod, I think it was a 10 amp or so. Maybe more.

Now the search for an amp that will fit in that space.....looks like there is plenty of room to figure a mounting.

Thanks guys.

Joel in the Couve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.