Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Would be nice to keep the orginal key , there are 10 locks on my Silverwing and all the same key. Did you figure a way to get the tumbler out without damageing the cap?
I did not and I don't think there is a way to do so. Here is a video of someone going to some length to swap an aftermarket barrel into his original cap. He says he put the entire assembly into a lathe and trimmed just enough from the edge of the chrome cover to get it off.
You can see an aftermarket gasket lying on the table:
Gas Wood Font Circle Sports equipment

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,270 Posts
Your welcome. If you would, let me know if you find a new aftermarket one that has the same dimensions as the original.
I thought I had the original one here but I can't find it. The CMX250 cap fits the hole perfectly. It is about 70mm outer diameter (I think this will be close to the same as the original) and about 11mm thick at the edge (this is not like the original). But most people would never know it wasn't original if you didn't tell them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I thought I had the original one here but I can't find it. The CMX250 cap fits the hole perfectly. It is about 70mm outer diameter (I think this will be close to the same as the original) and about 11mm thick at the edge (this is not like the original). But most people would never know it wasn't original if you didn't tell them.
My actual concern is the dimensions of the gasket. It does seem that if a cap fits the hole and seals the tank its gasket will work in an original cap. I'd feel more confident about that if the outer dimensions were the same.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Would be nice to keep the orginal key , there are 10 locks on my Silverwing and all the same key. Did you figure a way to get the tumbler out without damageing the cap?
I should say that the guy in the video says he uses a lathe to trim just enough of the edge of the chrome cover to get it off so minimal damage. He also says it was a big pia. I think I could meet my standards using a dremel tool.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,895 Posts
Wonder if a small sharp chiesel could pry the lip of the chrome cap back as the thing was turning in the lathe rather than cuting it off. Personally I would like a gascap that doesn't require a key , most of the time a locking gascap is just a waste of our time.

Reactions: keith in zulu In

·
Super Moderator
17,270 Posts
Any time you have to leave the bike unattended in a place where someone who thinks they are clever could tamper with it a locking gas cap is far from a waste of time.

Some years ago I took what I believe was an original Honda cap apart to see if I could fix it. I believe I pried the edges of the skin up but that was a long time ago and before this thread I hadn't thought about it in a long time.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,895 Posts
I do understand the need for security, but all the locking cap does is stop a thief from filling the bike up after he/she has stolen the bike,which is a good thing. Which brings up a good point of a different key for the gas cap ,more work for a thief too figure out if they break into ones shop or garage to steal it.
Which brings up a lesson learned the hard way, never leave a spare key hidden in your tank bag.(long story)After I got the Cbx back I now carry the spare key on my belt clip and lock all other vehicle keys in a different building , it's a bit of a pain but they have all stayed home.
Of course having to use they same key as the ignition ,it reminds me to reset my trip meter as I have to look at the instrument cluster. Who was that wise person that said , Everything has a Good point and a Bad point. For now being able to switch the rubber seal against the tank has sealed in the gas , makes my happy!

·
Super Moderator
17,270 Posts
A locked fuel cap stops someone who thinks it is funny to tamper with other people's vehicles from opening the cap and adding sand or sugar or whatever else they think will stop it from running into the tank.
If you don't believe me that this happens google gas tank prank

BTW: The most clever one I've heard of was putting a piece of a clear plastic bag into the tank. The victim reported (on one of the forums many years ago) that the bike would start and run normally but after a while it would stall and refuse to start for a while. Apparently the plastic had more or less neutral buoyancy in the gas so when the engine was running it would be drawn to the petcock strainer and after it stalled the sheet would gradually float away and allow the fuel to flow again. And because it was clear they couldn't see it when they looked inside the tank.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,895 Posts
It is sad that we live in a world where people do that sorte of thing . So yeah will be staying with the locking cap,plus I'm to tried to shop for a non locking cap anyway.
One prank I heard of was dumping a gallon or two of used gear lube in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
17,270 Posts
We can't rule out the possibility of someone siphoning the gas if they can open the cap too, although most of them probably wouldn't consider what's in a bike to be worth the trouble.
That sort of thing can happen anywhere. We are in a small town with an even smaller crime rate but our neighbour's dog started going nuts at the window one night a few years ago. He couldn't see anyone or anything from the window so he figured it was just wildlife but when he came out the next day there were marks from someone trying to pop the gas hatch.
I've heard of people crawling under cars & trucks to punch a hole in the tank and collect the gas with a gas can and a funnel too.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,895 Posts
One of the older non airworthy airplanes had the non locking gas cap stolen , so yeah a locking cap is better .

·
Super Moderator
17,270 Posts
My Dad was a locksmith. He told me that locks don't prevent theft or tampering altogether because anyone really determined can pick or break the lock. The real purpose of a lock is act as a deterrent because if it takes longer to open something the thief/vandal will usually look for an easier target.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,040 Posts
Locks inhibit opportunity.

Reactions: Gerard

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Locks inhibit opportunity.
kind of like padlocks and fences. They won't stop a determined thief but stop the casual passerby from doing anything stupid.

Reactions: Gerard

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,895 Posts
So went for a much longer ride yesterday 60kms and no gas fumes. Before the seal replacement the closer to empty the more it smelled. Got 300km on this tank of gas, so again thanks for the thread.

Reactions: D-Fresh
21 - 35 of 35 Posts