Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any info what the timing plug / breather looks like or where it go's ? mine was deleted & oil leaks out of caps

what air box breather tube doe's it hook into , any one have a pic ?

u can e mail me if need'd

newbie here - i need help - thanks R.Mello

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
There should be a cap on the inspection area. That's the way they came into the US/north america.

There are two hoses. One connected to each head that meets under the carbs in a T and then goes from there to the airbox on the right side.

If your cap is leaking you might need a new oring or the cap is cracked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the digram, i have new caps (no plug hole) on timing inspection cap, i'm getting oil blow by at the caps, only about 40k on eng, not ridden hard, air box NEVER has any oil in it, all oem but seems to have a 1980 block (early eng # 2116724_ its a 82 gl500i, left over block ? has not been changed / swapped.

honda had a recall in 80 about this oil issue, they had a diff breather cap #12361-415-610 installed to release some crank pressure with a t fitting.

part is NLA no info from honda (local) bike too old they say get a new 1, I DONT THINK SO !

i'll re ck my crank & head breather pipes.

i think the head plugs were installed #90547-415-305 but not the t cap, breather hole cap , so i get oil blow by, might have to make my own.

any info about this oem mod ? what size hole & tube ?

thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Ok I'm having trouble following this. By mistake I put up cx500 diagrams that have out vents in the heads. If I remember right the inspection cover is screwed down, the head vents were eliminated and there is a crank case vent that plugs into the back of the engine.

You're in Florida right. Because if sp hill fla is anywhere but north america things were done differently.

You see that pipe coming out of the middle rear of the engine. That goes to the airbox and vents your crank case into the air box.

If you have anything else take a picture so we can see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep thats the part i need - 2nd pic, timing port breather , then it ties into air box leed,

want to sell it ? how much ?

soon i'll pull my air box & other box that is a seperator ? air / oil ? maybe something is block'd in there,

if $ is good i'll buy the breather anyway

just let me know

thanks a lot

yea sp hill fla is almost bring a american flag !

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Well I don't have one of those for sale. But North american bikes do use them so I wouldn't worry about it. Just put the standard inspection cap on it and be done.

the only cx/gl that uses them in north america is the 650's. The 500's never had them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok not 4 sale- i'll have to pull my air & breather box & ck for blockage

where did u get the parts fish ? got a link ?

i want a rear seat , handle & rear cowel - know of good bone yd ?

e bay listings are shy

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Just about every honda dealer has an online fiche but I tend to use bikebandit.com

As for the parts ebay or ask on here.

Just a heads up the rear cowl is a pain in the ass to find so it would be easier to assume you won't find one.

One member took his seat to an upholstery shop and had a flap sewn on that buttons or snaps to the rear fender and it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm in Tampa and rode up to Spring Hill last Thursday to buy some parts. www.FineCycle.com might have that rear seat I don't remember for sure. You will find the phone number at web site but not a parts list. I bought the front seat.

Bike junk yard is in Inverness just up from Floral City. Thousands of bikes for real - all sitting outside. Took me about 3 hours to go through the bone yard.

Ki4 who is on this 500 forum has bought parts in St. Pete. He lives in New Port Richy. We got togather and rode today for a bit but it never cleared up I got 201 miles in without getting hit by direct downpour.

I have 81 and 82 GL500 Interstates bought my first one in November and 2nd this month. (I'm a Norton Commando Coverted to GL500s) You are welcome to take a look at my bikes as they are intact pretty much as from the factory but not so new looking.

Cheers,

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts