Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of my GL500 adventure build. 1981, paid $200 for the bike that sat in a fellow's front yard for two years. Had 6,250 miles on the clock when I got it, now 50,020. Additional upgrades from this pic is a 2 into 1 with Yoshi muffler and more LED's
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Vehicle Mode of transport Transport Auto part Car

Vehicle Motorcycle Transport Mode of transport Camping

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
254 Posts
How is she on gravel? Are those dual sport tires? Is it a stock 16" rear wheel?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,477 Posts
Nice to see one completed. My GL500 AdventureWing project has been languishing for a few years now.

R

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I wanted to do a project on this platform, and I thought cafe racers too cliche. Still might do one, someday, if I ever finish this.

R

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front is stock 19" with Shinko adventure 705 series tire. The rear is the problem. Using the stock 16" rear rim, there's no good choice for an adventure tire. I've been wanting to find a 17" rim to give more choice in rubber.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is she on gravel? Are those dual sport tires? Is it a stock 16" rear wheel?

Not too bad. A trip to Prince Rupert BC is on my bucket list. About 3400 miles round trip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think of an adventure bike more as where you ride Vs what you own

I agree. It's seen the Pacific beaches, Mountain passes, National parks, B.C., fire roads, logging roads, interstates. Next is Alaska.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Front is stock 19" with Shinko adventure 705 series tire. The rear is the problem. Using the stock 16" rear rim, there's no good choice for an adventure tire. I've been wanting to find a 17" rim to give more choice in rubber.
Can you swap in a cx500 rear wheel? Shinko 705s come in 120/18-18

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the CB900 and early '80s Goldwings have a 17" rear, and the hub is the same diameter as the Silverwing's. You may be able to fit the rim and spokes to the the GL500's drum brake hub. I believe folks have done the opposite to add a rear disc brake to a CX.

R

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,752 Posts
Can you swap in a cx500 rear wheel? Shinko 705s come in 120/18-18
The 18" CX500 rear is a bolt in fit on a GL500 (it would take a bit more work on that GL650 you were looking at). The only "problem" is that the GL500 has reverse comstar wheels with black spokes and the CXwheel is a non-reversed type with silver spokes. On a bike with saddlebags (especially big ones like Dirtrack's), most people wouldn't notice if the spokes were painted black...

Dirtrack:
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership. Your bike has had 38 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable. It looks like you have already addressed many of the potential problems but it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) start shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

BTW: Why are you Dirtrack650 when your bike is a 500?

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
The 18" CX500 rear is a bolt in fit on a GL500 (it would take a bit more work on that GL650 you were looking at). The only "problem" is that the GL500 has reverse comstar wheels with black spokes and the CXwheel is a non-reversed type with silver spokes. On a bike with saddlebags (especially big ones like Dirtrack's), most people wouldn't notice if the spokes were painted black...
Another concern, for some at least, is that the Standard's rear wheel is a 2.05x18. The GW wheel is a 2.50x17, maybe a little wider. Some may find the wider rim a better fit for a dirt tire.

That said, I currently have a Standard Comstar rear on the AdvWing, and I like the look so much that I might abandon the spoke idea and fit the 1.85x19 on the front.

R

P.S. Looking at his other posts, I get the impression that DirtTrack has been around old bikes, and the forum, for a while

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Sidecar Bob wrote in part "The 18" CX500 rear is a bolt in fit on a GL500 (it would take a bit more work on that GL650 you were looking at). The only "problem" is that the GL500 has reverse comstar wheels with black spokes and the CXwheel is a non-reversed type with silver spokes."
I have an 18" rear wheel which I was contemplating putting on my GL500. It is a reverse comstar the same as the GL500 wheels.

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
It came with a cx500 engine and front forks I bought years ago. The front forks were from a custom, had the leading axle. I assume that the wheel was from the same bike. I haven't tried fitting it to my GL500 as yet.

·
Super Moderator
23,406 Posts
500 standard sold in markets outside the US {like Australia} went to reverse comstar wheels in 81 and 82 and retained their 18 inch wheel size. In these markets these wheels are relatively common.

·
Super Moderator
23,406 Posts
Only if you continued to get the standard model. Here we got them until the end of 500 production. Ditto numerous european countries.

The wheels are out there if someone wants them bad enough and is prepared to pay the hefty freight cost on a hefty wheel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts