Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL400C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been looking for quite a bit now, and could not find any information on the fork oil capacity of the GL400 Custom (B), its a 1987 model. Does anyone know this? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If your GL looks like the CX650 Custom from 1983 - I would simply use the information for the 650 , from the FSM . Your bike is exactly the 650 Custom , with a smaller engine .

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL400C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, but unfortunately it looks diefferent.
It used to look something like this:

But now it looks like this:

It's more like a cx500c, so I'm guessing then I should go with that amount, which is 135-140cc

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
The forks don't look lke the 35? mm forks looking at the clamp type fitting on the right of the fork.

Don't those forks have the axle screw into that leg?

A couple of closeups of the axle fitting would help but they appear to be 33 mm forks. Australian market 500Cs came with those - at least through to 1981.

Measure the chrome tube. I reckon they are the 33 mm forks and if so the fork oil spec will be from the 78 standard. 135 - 140 cc.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts
That looks like the early 33mm forks.

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL400C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your fork tube dia? badges on engine say GL500 but the bike looks like a cx custom. Or a franken-bike. no offence intended
Yes, for some reason the previos owner put a 500 badge on there, but I checked the engine and frame serial number and it is a GL400C indeed.

Measure the chrome tube. I reckon they are the 33 mm forks and if so the fork oil spec will be from the 78 standard. 135 - 140 cc.
Yes, the diameter is 33mm and they have air valves on top.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,067 Posts
BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as I suspect your paperwork shows - AFAIK Honda ceased production of all CX models after the 1984 model year) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). It looks like you have gone through the bike pretty thoroughly but it is almost 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. It looks like your bike may still have the original rubber brake lines, which should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (= 5 or 6 years) so I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

Are you sure your numbers indicate a CX400C? The best information I can find says that the 1983 & later CX400C looked like this (from Honda CX 500 Euro )

But yours looks a lot more like the 1981-2 CX500C (from 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom )

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
It's one of the weird Asian/NZ market variants Bob.

They make little sense. Standards were also badged as GLs

This one is apparently a GL400C.

I worked on a CX400C once and it was the CX650C with the 400 engine.

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL400C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW: Welcome to the forum.
Thank you, I will add the info soon, and defenietly gonna check on the parts as well!

I checked the serial numbers according to the following chart:

It's one of the weird Asian/NZ market variants
The previous owner also said something about the Japanese domestic market, it supposedly came from there, so it might be the reason.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,067 Posts
Note that the chart is for models made from 1977 t0 1981. Based on the style of your bike (similar to the GL500C made in the same years) I think yours is likely to have been made before 1982, not for the 1987 model year.
The reason we are fussy about the correct model year is that there are significant differences between bikes made for different years and the service procedures for one year are often inappropriate for a different year.

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL400C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fair enough, I can dig up some old photos from ispection if that could help identifying what exactly this might be.
It's closer to the factory state on those pics but they are not very high quality.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL400C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the meantime I filled the froks with 140ccs of oil and 1bar of air and it feels pretty smooth, so thank you all for the info!

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
294 Posts
Japanse CX versions (may be named GL) usually have a km/h speedo with red (not white) figures starting at 80 km/h plus a red light that came on at 80 km/h, max speed in japan at the time appearently.

If in doubt about when it was produced take a look at the wheel rims, usually there is a DOT code stamp like on the tires. The date on the rims may be some months earlier than for the bike itself.

Looks like a nice bike, enjoy the ride!

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
Interesting post Brink. I didn't know that.

Instantly borne out by the 78 wheel on the arm of my chair that I am cleaning up.

978 DOT. I'm guessing September 78.

I didn't know they were datecodes.

I just checked a front reversed comstar at 1080. I guess for the early 81 models.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts