Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Any idea of what torque they should be at?
The torque will depend on the thread diameter and type of bolts that you select. Have you got the bolts already?

Reactions: Rayyy

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
The shank of those bolts is not turned or machined to a specific diameter. A shoulder bolt will have the non-threaded part of the shank machined to a specific diameter allowing for a precise fit when the hole is reamed to the correct diameter. I believe that one can find shoulder bolts with an 8mm shank and an 8 mm reamer.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ahh okay, got it. I’ll peruse through the other write ups on this to see if someone already measured out the length (of shoulder and thread)… Otherwise need to try some trial and error.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wondering if anyone can confirm whether a 16” rear wheel from a 1982 GL1100 Goldwing would bolt right onto a 1982 CX500?

The wheels looks identical, however the GL wheel 3” wide (instead of the stock 2.5”).
You can not take them apart and back together. They had a special set up at the factory. The centers are also different. Don't want you to kill yourself.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
People have successfully taken Comstars apart to mix & match the parts for special applications.
Would I do it? Probably not.
Would I do it to make the bike handle more poorly? Not a chance.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500Turbo, 1983 Honda CX650Turbo, 1974 Norton 850 Commando, 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer
27 Posts
Whatever width tire you fit, you will want to ensure that the tire does not interfere with the swingarm. I have not heard of this conversion before. The CX turbo models, which I am more familiar with could barely accept one size larger tire width than stock as anything larger than that will certainly rub the swingarm.
What is the advantage of fitting the 17" wheel on a CX? Is it that a radial tire can be used? Sounds to me to be more trouble than it is worth. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The two things sometimes more trouble than their worth: Women and custom motorcycles. Yet, we chase.

It might be silly, might be hopeless, it might not work, might get hurt… Has that ever stopped us from trying?

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Indeed I’m sure there are, especially ones that are tried and true, but at the end of it all, aren’t we all still here because we continue to try new things to keep these old birds relevant and pleasing to us?

I have absolutely no inclination to ride a brand new modern bike, yet love trying/improving old ones. I learn as I go.

Here is my 550, it was a rusty paper weight when I got it… Little things here and there, now she hums like a sewing machineand still nowhere near finished.

(ok end of rant!)

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
But sometimes the things people want to try are known to make them work less well.

Someone commented recently that the CX500 standard handles better than either the Deluxe or the Custom. The only difference between the standard and the Deluxe that would affect the handling much is that the standard has a taller, narrower rear wheel & tire. The outer diameter of the standard's 3.75-18 tire and the Deluxe's 130/90-16 are so close that it doesn't matter so the RPM at a given speed will be the same but the narrower one is easier to lean into turns.

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ya makes sense.

I’d like fatter tires because I live in San Francisco, without getting into politics, the results are the roads are considerably under maintained, huge pot holes, plus train/subway tracks throughout the city, so I’d like fatter tires to be able to handle all that a little bwtter even if it’s a marginal difference.

I’m not super concerned with leaning super far at high speeds, I’ll probably rarely ever go past 45mph 😂 let alone take a turn at that speed (I have other bikes for that).

My main desire is a bigger contact patch on the road, and I’m pretty sure I can lean into the type of turns I’ll be making well enough with a 140 or 150 sized tire.

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
You probably wouldn't feel the difference between a 130 and a 140 and accommodating a 150 might involve widening the frame to accept a wider swingarm.

BTW: I hear people in cities complain about potholes and I agree that there is no excuse for the wastefulness of letting them get so big that they have to re-pave instead of just patching but you ain't seen potholes until you ride on dirt/gravel roads that heavy trucks use to get to farms. If you get your speed just right you can skip across the tops but if you are just a bit too fast or slow.....
Perseverance Amongst the Potholes

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Omfg that is intense! Ya the potholes here aren’t as bad as that, but some neighborhoods do come somewhat close to it (photo attached). Bay Area was also noted to have the worst roads in the nation a few years ago, and not much has changed

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
And I think 10mm can indeed make a difference when riding along train tracks imbedded into the road…

·
Registered
1982 CX500 C
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ya true, but sometimes easier said than done. There are tracks all over the city, including tracks no longer used since the 70’s when the bus companies lobbied to remove trollies and sell buses to the city, which means those tracks are even more run down.

Also a good portion of the streets downtown are one-way streets, so sometimes a bit more cumbersome to take a different road.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts