Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find some foam (sponge) rubber cord stock to replace the GL luggage seals. So far a known-suitable replacement has not been located.

The original seals are a very soft foam rubber cord, approximately 3.5 mm (or 0.138 inches) in diameter. The closest I've found is neoprene sponge cord from Polymax. Unfortunately, the sizes they have available jump from 3mm to 4mm.

I contacted them and they cannot supply 3.5 mm in neoprene, but they do have silicone sponge cord available in that size. But I have concerns regarding how well it would hold up in highway use over the long term.

McMaster-Carr's 1430K55 neoprene foam rubber cord looks somewhat promising. Although listed as 1/8 inch diameter, its actual diameter is 0.139 inches. But its hardness is listed as medium soft/medium hard, which may be a problem.

I may order some of the 1430K55 to try out. Before doing so, has anyone else found a good replacement?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll check those out.

I'm curious to know if you tried the screen door stuff and how it turned out. I tried it last year, but found it was pretty hard stuff, and the ridges promoted water seepage in my opinion. Instead, I got some neoprene weather stripping with adhesive on one side. I sliced it lengthwise and used the screen door tool to jam in in place. It worked ok, but my bags don't really close evenly, so I don't think anything would work perfectly.

Dave, how did you fare?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...Dave, how did you fare?
I haven't yet.

What with all the snow and ice (nothing for you, but it pretty well shut down Atlanta) I have not had a chance to get to the stores yet to look at the screen splines. Maybe later today or tomorrow. The online descriptions indicate they are made of vinyl - there may be issues with them sealing and withstanding multiple compression cycles without cracking.

I went ahead and ordered several feet of the McMaster-Carr foam rubber cord anyway. I'll post my findings after I've had a chance to examine it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That is a valid point about the screen spline not being very pliant. After looking at the specs for the McMaster-Carr foam rubber cord I would have to say it certainly looks to be better suited to the task. I may pick up a 10 footer myself. Thanks for the link Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The McMaster-Carr foam rubber cord fits fine. I don't know how well it seals as I have not tested it with a hose or ridden in the rain with this bike yet.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm interested in knowing your results. I tried silicone behind and over the original cord without much luck.

Fib

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After finally getting around to testing, I found the McMaster-Carr 1430K55 failed miserably. The bags leaked like a sieve.

I noticed that the original seals from another set of bags were slightly larger than the ones previously measured. So some 4mm neoprene sponge cord was tried with good results. See here.

·
Registered
313 Posts
After finally getting around to testing, I found the McMaster-Carr 1430K55 failed miserably. The bags leaked like a sieve.

I noticed that the original seals from another set of bags were slightly larger than the ones previously measured. So some 4mm neoprene sponge cord was tried with good results. See here.

I will be installing these (Edge-Grip Seal Type 1) in my saddlebags in the next few days. They are from McMaster-Carr as well. I was able to find a gasket that replicated the original gasket dimensions. The shap is a bit different so I went a bit larger to provide a "crush" seal.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The original size and type of seal will not be water-tight unless both case halves are well-aligned. Generally this will not be the situation after 30 years.

Your solution sounds like it may provide better sealing under real world conditions. Please keep us advised of your findings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts