Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest project bike, a GL650I, is nearly finished and has been out for a short ride. When parked using the side stand it leans over much further than is comfortable to me.

There is no risk of it falling over but it could be a real handful getting upright again, especially if fully loaded with gear and parked on a slight incline.

The GL500 side stand is almost an inch longer so I'm thinking about installing one to see if the bike will sit better.

Has anyone else tried this swap or similar?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Dave,i had the same problem on my gl when i swopped the 16 for an 18 inch wheel.a nightmare,hauling it back up,as you say,when parked on a slope.

for an instant result,i cut off the nuckle from a stable door hinge,bolted it to the flat of my exising stand[thinking a temp fix].its still like it to-day,great.measures 1 and a 1/4 inch hike up....like a different bike.

i dont have the availability of spare parts here.but im happy

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the exhaust system this afternoon and tried a GL500 side stand. It greatly improved things but was still a little short.

Next, some small steel plates were placed under the side stand. Another 3/8 inch of height made the bike sit perfectly.

My plans are to weld a 3/8 inch steel plate section to the bottom of the side stand. It will be made a little wider and longer than the standard base so that parking on soft ground will not be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.