Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic was previously covered on the old forum, see here. Many new GL owners have since joined this forum and are probably not aware of the issue.

This is one easy task that should not be neglected.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i just looked at mine Dave,[as the back end is in bits] its probably one of the only things on the 81 that is pristeen

thanks for the heads-up

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Spending 40 cents now can save a lot in the long run. When I redid the hondaline bags on the cx I ended up drilling out all the rivets to clean things up and nylock nuts were some of the best things that I could reassemble with. Even just one per major hinge/latch would keep from losing it.

Some of these bikes vibrate pretty good so it's something to look out for. Back in september when I did my clutch upgrade Dave in Wisconsin and I noticed that one of the larger rear cover bolts had vibrated 2 threads worth out since the double bypass in april. And it was torqued correctly.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Good point on using true locknuts, minor cost and assembly's a bit slower but they're not going anywhere. My license plate is on with stainless steel allen head cap screws and nylon insert lock nuts, small price to pay knowing it's probably not going anywhere.

http://www.minibolt.com/onlinestore/images/Nylon Insert Lock Nut.jpg

Any Ace/True Value etc hardware store has them out the ears for about 25¢ each. I tend to prefer stainless as the common hardware coming out of China is so thinly plated it won't take the road salt most of us have to put up with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts