Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here and I DID search at length on this subject, so now I'll ask around.

Fluid is leaking from the upper cap area. Air holds but not for more then a day or so.

Here are my questions.

1. Can it be ridden in this condition?

2. I have come to find out in searches here that the seals are no longer available. Are there any alternatives, hell, even hose cut to fit the area?

3. In the event that I need to replace them, can I put on any other non-air suspension shock, what about cx shocks?

Any and all imput would be appreciated.

swoops

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi all,

Fluid is leaking from the upper cap area. Air holds but not for more then a day or so.

Here are my questions.

2. I have come to find out in searches here that the seals are no longer available. Are there any alternatives, hell, even hose cut to fit the area?

3. In the event that I need to replace them, can I put on any other non-air suspension shock, what about cx shocks?

swoops
hiya,to maybe help a little

1/yes,i can be ridden in this condition.i wont feel nice in a corner at 50mph,but yes

2/seals and dust cover are easily available,and to rebuild your front shocks is a pleasure.

3/no need,not that it will make a difference,your existing shocks will be fine,just need a little tlc

id buy the honda seals,a few bucks more,but worth it.

between us we will guide you through a rebuils

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi all,

Here are my questions.

swoops
Check out Ebay and do a search for GL 500 forks. There you will find plenty of seals and/or dust wipers for sale. Careful. One auction I bought advertised seals and dust covers together but sent only wipers...and then disappeared. I changed mine and one still leaks but I suspect that deep pitting in the travel area is more the cause than seals.

Capt Frank

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'll be replacing the fork seals on my '82 GL500 some time this week. I already have my new seals but just have to find the time.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'll be replacing the fork seals on my '82 GL500 some time this week. I already have my new seals but just have to find the time.
.................and the 6mm allan key socket

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check out Ebay and do a search for GL 500 forks. There you will find plenty of seals and/or dust wipers for sale. Careful. One auction I bought advertised seals and dust covers together but sent only wipers...and then disappeared. I changed mine and one still leaks but I suspect that deep pitting in the travel area is more the cause than seals.

Capt Frank
Sorry I misread your post. Its the cap seals you need. Are they missing or damaged? Damaged could be just a burr.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Typed in "front shock seals" in ebays silverwing area. NOTHING! Is EBAY my only location and what would I be looking at for $$. I take any seal there will be used...no new anywhere? I don't know the extent of damage to it as I haven't pulled them yet. Just got the bike recently. If the seals are gone would that account for the hydraulic fluid creeping from the top cap area and would it also be the cause of air loss. What do you guys use to inflate it, a bicycle pump? Even on super low pressure coming from my compressor, the fron rides up quick and I bleed it a bit.

Okay it leaks, but how do I tell if they are gonzo?

thanks,

swoops

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have found them on BikeBandit. Are there any other parts in there that should be replaced at the same time? What about the rear???

swoops

How about while you've got the front end apart, greasing the head tub bearings? There's a post about this not too long ago.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Had the same problem as Capt Frank, and have replaced the seal and cap twice on the right fork, but it still leaks. I am sure its pitting and a few scratches on the inner fork tube. I will probabaly take them off and see if I can "buff" out the bad spots and try with seal set #3, if not I have to wait until I can find a set of forks (or the inner tubes) to replace it. Untill then I will do what I have for 2 years, ride it, stop every few hours and hand pump some more air in, ride, repeat.

It will not do any harm to the bike, except you will get a nice coating of frok fluid over the engine, rad, and your leg

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. Typed in "front shock seals" in ebays silverwing area. NOTHING! Is EBAY my only location and what would I be looking at for $$. I take any seal there will be used...no new anywhere? I don't know the extent of damage to it as I haven't pulled them yet. Just got the bike recently. If the seals are gone would that account for the hydraulic fluid creeping from the top cap area and would it also be the cause of air loss. What do you guys use to inflate it, a bicycle pump? Even on super low pressure coming from my compressor, the fron rides up quick and I bleed it a bit.

Okay it leaks, but how do I tell if they are gonzo?

thanks,

swoops
Try searching "GL500 fork seals", that should work. Also Bike Bandit, Dennis Kirk, and possibly even Motorcycle Superstore, which is my personal fav for hassle free buying. You may also want to track down the copper washers that go on the socket head cap screws at the bottom of the fork above the axle. Someone here will remember the size. 8mm IIRC and I seldom do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just did mine a couple weeks ago.

The ATF I first replaced it with began to leak profusely after hitting a series of potholes so hard that it slid one my forks about 3/4" up in the clamp
However as bad as they leaked oil they still held thier charge of air, which I thought was odd.

I ordered new seals off of eBay, (georgefix was the seller, very satisfied).

The only thing I would recommend you have on hand prior to starting, (besides the 6mm Allen Key socket) is a decent pair of snap ring pliers. Instead of a wire spring lock like mentioned in the tutorial linked on this site, my forks had a standard snap ring retaining ring. Not sure what it most common but I was surprised to see it there.

Luckily I was able to borrow a set from a neighboring farmer and complete the job that night. I hate it when I am forced to leave a job half completed because I have to obtain more tools.

Also used a 2' section of ABS pipe, I think 1-1/2" sized. I had to grind a bit off of the outer thickness to fit inside the fork body but it worked fine to press the new seal into it spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts