Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 1982 GL500 Silverwing. On my last road trip, the rear monoshock started leaking air, and now doesn't stay "inflated" at all. Has anyone found a replacement shock that will work? It doesn't have to be an air shock, just a coil-over shock that will handle the load.

Honda no longer makes them, and it seems no one else does either. Surely, among the hundreds of shocks made around the world, another shock must exist that will work as a replacement. The GL500 Silverwing has a really sweet, rising rate rear suspension, but only with a working shock!

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 1982 GL500 Silverwing. On my last road trip, the rear monoshock started leaking air, and now doesn't stay "inflated" at all. Has anyone found a replacement shock that will work? It doesn't have to be an air shock, just a coil-over shock that will handle the load.

Honda no longer makes them, and it seems no one else does either. Surely, among the hundreds of shocks made around the world, another shock must exist that will work as a replacement. The GL500 Silverwing has a really sweet, rising rate rear suspension, but only with a working shock!

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Chris
hi chris,and welcome.

can you spend a few seconds to update your signiture and avitar,include your bikes details,and your location.

as far as your mono shock goes.there seems to be an issue with the availability of the seals to make a complete re-build possible.

but,have you tried replacing the 3 buck valve[inlet]it could be 30 years old and leaking.its the same valve used on car tyres.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Use the search function with the word monoshock.

Also some people have cured the leaks by letting the air out and then using one of those emergency tyre sealers,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...16oz-/120608330780?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools

You can buy new but they are expensive,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/GL_500_DC_Silverwing_PC02/82-85/

http://images.wemoto.com/suspension/ad36.html

Note:Wemoto are a superb supplier and ship internationally as many users of this forum can attest to.

There are some universal ones,

http://www.ezone4.co.uk/mono_shock_absorbers_honda.htm

but you would have to contact the seller to see if one were suitable and to see if they ship internationally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dear Bandit.

I'm surprised you have difficulty getting a seal. Almost equally surprised that you noticed the air escaped.

In case you don't know the seal size, its 65 x 80 mm. Height don't matter, it floats, held down by air pressure. I get them x 10mm and an O ring 2 x 40 for the top mount.

You also need cojones & all the protective gear to keep them safe as these units don't take prisoners.

There is a detailed method on the old forum, should be findable.

There is one small mistake on this method that you need to know! If you do it as described, 9.5 times out of 10 you will cut the O ring that keeps the air in.

The O ring must be fitted fitted to the top mount AFTER the can & spring have been compressed a long way to expose the groove.It seems to go down forever, then you have to manoeuver the O ring in place, with your fingers. Scary!. Your jig has to allow this. If you are determined to fix this unit youself, please ensure the jig you make is strong.

Having had all kinds of fun with these Showa units & realising they are never going to be good, I bought a Hagon monoshock type M61045. These are regarded here as the real deal. http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk So, now I have a suspension unit worth more'n the rest of the bike, sweat it into place & want to hit the highway. Just fit the back wheel & .... Oh shit! Can't get the rear wheel spindle in place as the swinging-arm is now way higher than before. I am talking E-C model, probably applies to GLs too but Hagon list M61046 for that model. The drawing for my unit calls for eye-to-eye 295mm, they are all made 290mm. But, being a responsible company, they agreed to put it right. So if anyone else now finds they now have to remove the exhaust system just to pull the spindle, that's why.Check what length would be acceptable to avoid any disappointment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same bike.. 1982 gl500i Silverwing.

Last week I replaced the stock monoshock with Hagon monoshock.

And changed the front air assist suspention to Progressive springs. (removed the air lines and plugged them with bolts)

Huge difference in how the bike rides and handles. I am happy with the upgrade.

Igor

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tore into the back end of my GL the other day, mostly to get rid of the incessant squeaking from the linkages. When I got the monoshock out it appeared to be very similar in length to the ratty Katana 750 shock I have sitting around. Initial inspection reveals they are within a 1/4" for free length, appears to be similar size mounting bolts. May try it out, just for grins at this point. Those shocks are dirt cheap on Katana forums, and they also have a 3 position adjustment, not sure if it's for compression or rebound. Will try to keep you posted.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bentway,

Like CXer, I have gone with a Hagon shock for my GL500I. I have yet to throw away the old shock, but it is NEVER going back in. The ride is much better and predictable even on the roughest roads. In my opinion, if you want to ride your bike every day it is worth every penny. These can be purchased at Dave Quinn M/C in the USA.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I tore into the back end of my GL the other day, mostly to get rid of the incessant squeaking from the linkages. When I got the monoshock out it appeared to be very similar in length to the ratty Katana 750 shock I have sitting around. Initial inspection reveals they are within a 1/4" for free length, appears to be similar size mounting bolts. May try it out, just for grins at this point. Those shocks are dirt cheap on Katana forums, and they also have a 3 position adjustment, not sure if it's for compression or rebound. Will try to keep you posted.

IIRC there was a post or two about fitting Suzuki monos to the GL on the old CX list. I don't recall if they were off the Katana or not.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got the Katana shock mounted the other night, used the 2 stock mounting bolts with several 10 mm washers. Shakedown ride is forthcoming, but clearances look fine. I faced the adjuster lever towards the front under the carbs so it is possible to weasel my fingers in to change settings. Preload adjustment might be a bit difficult, will cross that bridge if I come to it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
[quote name='markmakeitso' date='10 May 2011 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1305060551' post='70773']

I got the Katana shock mounted the other night, used the 2 stock mounting bolts with several 10 mm washers. Shakedown ride is forthcoming, but clearances look fine. I faced the adjuster lever towards the front under the carbs so it is possible to weasel my fingers in to change settings. Preload adjustment might be a bit difficult, will cross that bridge if I come to it.

[/quot. I was wondering if this worked out and if it did what year was the shock?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was wondering if this worked out and if it did what year was the shock? Thank you

Hi Kevin, just sent you a PM.

Bringing up a zombie post here, but that Katana shock has been working well. Several 200-300 mile days in the saddle and it's been fine. I'm in the middle of slow mass reduction on the bike, but the replacement works very well, especially for the money. No news on preload or valving adjustments yet, but might have the chance sometime.

Ah, want to say 91 750 Katana off the top of my head, shoulda taken better notes apparently.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Also, when you find the air hose, replace the valve stem core to make sure that is not the problem. Half the time that is all that is wrong with losing air pressure. Never fill the shock off a compressor. To much air pressure will blow the seals out. Use a bike pump of a special pump made for refilling air shocks.

Reactions: izak

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
A compressor with a tank & regulator is OK for inflating shocks & even forks if you set the regulator at just a bit over the pressure the fork needs. The warning about not using compressors goes back to the days when most home compressors didn't have tanks so every pulse from the piston went directly down the hose but these days they just about all have tanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.