Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got a 1982 GL 500 and I am in the process of restoring it. I have most of the parts but am considering a direction change on the rebuild. my question is how different is the frame from a GL500 Silverwing to a CX650e? I would like to make more of a sport tourer out of it than a touring bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Can't answer about the frame but welcome to the forum.  What do you have in mind, why the question about the frames?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would like to make more of a sport tourer out of it than a touring bike...

By going SPORT Touring, are you refering to component exchange with an "e" or / and bodystyle modifications?

Since it's new to you, have you seen the various configurations of your silverwing?

Just do a pic search of silverwing interstate.

A sportier version would be a naked silverwing (no hondaline fairing), single seat, small trunk, with the side hardbags

Oh, update your location, probably lots of locals near you

Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...I have a generic cafe style fairing, superbike bars and honda bags so far...(as well as tires, seat and lots of other incidentals) pics to come...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thanks for the info...I have a generic cafe style fairing, superbike bars and honda bags so far...(as well as tires, seat and lots of other incidentals) pics to come...

pics are always important here!

·
Registered
724 Posts
that is a really small picture and i can't tell whats going on with the bike. please post a larger one. thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More pics coming soon...got alot of parts on ebay and still in the disassembly stage...and I will post a larger pic...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok it has been a while and I have been doing as much as I can with my tiny (non existant) budget. Here it is starting to tear it down in the carport...

[/img]

motor out and frame stripped...

[/img]

Motor ready for cleaning...

[/img]

frame painted...

starting to go together...

motor painted, cleaned and a few new bits attached...

got the motor in and wired tonight and it almost fired up...got spark and carbs cleaned...will fit exhaust and try to take it around the block tomorrow...more pics coming soon sorry for the delay! Going to Mods and Rockers at Hard Rock Cafe here in south florida on sunday...anyone on here going??

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Nice looking work on your bike!

I started building a Cafe Racer, but will

end up with what I consider a naked sport

touring bike. Have european style handlebars

coming for the bike and mounted a seat pan

that's different from the Cafe Racer style.

Plan to use the bike for twisty riding in the

Carolina mountains and foothills.

One thought on the photos, you can post the

photobucket project link.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Ok it has been a while and I have been doing as much as I can with my tiny (non existant) budget. Here it is starting to tear it down in the carport...

motor out and frame stripped...

frame painted...

starting to go together...

motor painted, cleaned and a few new bits attached...

got the motor in and wired tonight and it almost fired up...got spark and carbs cleaned...will fit exhaust and try to take it around the block tomorrow...more pics coming soon sorry for the delay! Going to Mods and Rockers at Hard Rock Cafe here in south florida on sunday...anyone on here going??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh well...got it running today and it sounded like it tightened up and that was it. For fun I tried bump starting it. locked up solid...ebay motor here I come...Its beginning to look like the axe that cut down the cherry tree...handle replaced 20 times, head replaced 10...is it the same axe?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got a motor from a 81 CX...need to change the rear cover/stator/flywheel to work with 81 GL ignition...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts