Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if any, are the differences in the 81 and 82 GL 500? Just wondering, because 2 of our riders are 82s and the parts bike is an 81. I read somewhere that the forks are different, but they look the same to me.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
Paint colors.

R

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
i have both in front of me at the minute.there is not a lot of difference.

handlebar l/h side switch gear does not have a pass button

air-forks fill is on the r/h,not on the left as the 82,[could be a PO switch]

mm,cant see a lot more

·
Registered
382 Posts
What if any, are the differences in the 81 and 82 GL 500? Just wondering, because 2 of our riders are 82s and the parts bike is an 81. I read somewhere that the forks are different, but they look the same to me.

Isn't the ignition different? From CDI to TI?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Unlike the CX's, all GL's have TI ignitions. Even 1981.

There are some other subtle differences, one being the mounting hardware for the center stand.

I don't think the 81 had the electrical accessory connector under the seat.

Of all the GL500 engines that I've seen, the 81's have the smaller mechanical seal bore and the 82's have the larger bore.

But the bikes are indeed very close to being identical.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just checked mine, and is indeed an '81 AND black. Although, the fuel tank is different, but it's black as well. But, the BIG downside to mine, is that it has a vetter fairing on it, so is not naked.So, I don't have the headlight/brackets or turn signals. But, I still have the original back seat, and shorty trunk, but they have been switched for the tall trunk in place of the rear seat.

Bottom line I guess, is, it's a MUTT.just like its owner...........

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I just checked mine, and is indeed an '81 AND black. Although, the fuel tank is different, but it's black as well. But, the BIG downside to mine, is that it has a vetter fairing on it, so is not naked.So, I don't have the headlight/brackets or turn signals. But, I still have the original back seat, and shorty trunk, but they have been switched for the tall trunk in place of the rear seat.

my 81 is black as well,whats plural for mutt.lmao

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, that pretty much answers my question. So, basically most if not all parts should be interchangeable from 81 to 82 and vice versa. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
[awe come on now bear. Far from a mutt. Goin to be back in town may 7th. Mark it on the calendar. We ride!

quote name='bearman1' date='27 April 2011 - 06:53 AM' timestamp='1303908807' post='65683']

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
In the HOPES of you bringing some warmer DRYER weather with ya?.........."bring it on"!!!........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.